Subscription quandary

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #324569 by bizguy
Not Solved - Subscription quandary was created by bizguy
I have been struggling to make this work, but potentially my initial logic is flawed. Hoping you can suggest a correction or change.

Membership parameters:
  • New member initiation fee: $30 (non-taxable)
  • Non-taxable portion: $75
  • Taxable portion: $125 (varies by province)
  • Plan follows a calendar year

Part 1:
I set up a parent plan with an initial fee of $105 and a renewal of $75, tax does not apply.
I set up a child plan with a fee of $125, tax calculated by province.

A new registration works correctly, with both items being required to subscribe. Once subscribed the user only sees the child plan in their profile and renewals can be processed without the parent. This is the issue as both plans should be displayed and be required on renewal.

Part 2:
The process gets a little more complex as there are renewing members (from the previous system) that need to be brought into the new plans, but do not get charged the initiation fee.

Your help is appreciated.

Ed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #324570 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Subscription quandary
Are they currently subscribed to the parent plan, but not the child plan? I don't believe there's a way to force them to renew with the child plan at this point. Is there a specific reason you need a non-taxable portion? Maybe it'd be better to have 1 plan and use a stepped tax rule? Example as follows.

The tax is: A fixed amount or percentage depending on the corresponding items price
Step Tax formula: 0-75:0%;76-100:5%,100-200:8%

So with the above any purchase below $76 should not be taxed. A purchase between 76-100 will be taxed at 5% and a purchase between 100-200 at 8%. I don't think there's a way to just reduce the amount taxed by $75 before calculating the tax amount.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #324571 by krileon
Have reviewed this further and technically the "A fixed amount added/substracted from the item price, plus a percentage" tax rule should cover this usecase entirely as you'd set a fixed amount of -75 then supply your tax percentage rate. We're in discussions on how to fix this as it doesn't seam to be behaving correctly.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/8485

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #324572 by bizguy
Replied by bizguy on topic Subscription quandary
To complicate but explain the situation better, I have attached a series of screenshots to show the process.
  1. A new member can select an annual plan or a monthly plan (separate parent/child plans).
  2. The plan costs work correctly and the billing includes all parts.
  3. Contrary to what I initially said, both plans show up in the user's account when processed.
  4. I rolled the year back by one in both subscriptions to see the renewal notice. You will notice that only the Parent plan is shown to renew at login.
  5. Processing the renewal payment, provides access to the site and reviewing the subscriptions shows only the Parent is renewed, the child is outstanding, but access is granted.

Can this be corrected to require both to be renewed for access?

Thanks,

Ed

Attachments:

2 years 11 months ago #324573 by bizguy
Replied by bizguy on topic Subscription quandary
Thanks Kyle.

Yes I spent a day trying most configurations to get it to work, and that is why I went with the Parent-child option. It actually plays better in this scenario, as the non-taxed portion is the local branch's part and the taxed portion is the national association's part.

If there is a way to force the child renewal requirement, I think that would be optimal in this case.

Ed

2 years 11 months ago #324574 by krileon

If there is a way to force the child renewal requirement, I think that would be optimal in this case.

There isn't a way to force it. You can try marking the child plan as exclusive so it's also mandatory when subscribing to the parent, but you can't renew multiple plans at once so it's not likely to help much with renewals.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn