User Tagging

17 years 1 week ago #36319 by Doctor Sid
User Tagging was created by Doctor Sid
I'd like to allow users to assign tags to their profile (either custom ones or from a pre-defined pool) and allow them to search for other users according to their tags.

Does anyone know if a module like this exists?
Otherwise, i would suggest to integrate this feature into CB.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 11 months ago #37323 by phoenixology
Replied by phoenixology on topic Re:User Tagging
I'm also looking for this functionality with CB. For example, if under a users profile they have all of their interests listed - if they have, say, "swimming" listed - if that were to be clicked on the user would be taken to a list of all other users with the same tag "swimming" listed under interests in their profile.

This is something I think some of the bigger social networking sites have that is really useful for quickly finding and connecting to other users with similar interests.

Is an extension out there like this already?

If not, I'd 2nd that it would be fantastic to have this.

16 years 11 months ago #37589 by phoenixology
This extension seems like it might be easy enough to incorporate into CB to get this functionality, maybe?

extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1881/Itemid,35/

I don't know much (if anything really) about how to code these things, but it seems as if there might be a way to just edit a line or two of code with the advanced CB to make it so certain fields display a linked tag, rather than just text.

The extension creates a tag cloud whenever you use this in your content - {tag [sometag]:[sometext]} - and it seems like, if maybe you can include the {tag...} bit within the field of your user's CB profile then whatever text they type turns up as linked and in a tag cloud?

I'm probably oversimplifying this A LOT, but thought it was worth a shot to try and get discussion going. Any thoughts/ideas?

16 years 11 months ago #37668 by tomsawyer1234
Replied by tomsawyer1234 on topic Re:User Tagging
this is a good start. Have you try to contact the developer of this component?

Regards

Florian

16 years 11 months ago #37766 by phoenixology
Yep, the developer of this component said he'd like develop plugins for this but is busy with other projects at the moment.

He said that the component is looking for tags only in the content, and that pointing it to the CB table where I want there to be linked tags may work. As I mentioned, the only code I really know how to work with is HTML/CSS - anything else and I'm pretty lost.

Is this something someone who knows what they're doing would be interested in trying? I'm sure this is something that a lot of people would jump all over if it were avalialbe! :)

16 years 11 months ago #38358 by tomsawyer1234
Replied by tomsawyer1234 on topic Re:User Tagging
phoenixology wrote:

Yep, the developer of this component said he'd like develop plugins for this but is busy with other projects at the moment.

He said that the component is looking for tags only in the content, and that pointing it to the CB table where I want there to be linked tags may work. As I mentioned, the only code I really know how to work with is HTML/CSS - anything else and I'm pretty lost.

Is this something someone who knows what they're doing would be interested in trying? I'm sure this is something that a lot of people would jump all over if it were avalialbe! :)

I am looking forward for this addon!
tks in advance

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn