All CB Sites should upgrade to CB 1.2.1 now!

14 years 10 months ago #102254 by eclombardo
This thread discusses the Content article: All CB Sites should upgrade to CB 1.2.1 now!

How do I upgrade? Will the upgrade affect my database?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 10 months ago #102255 by captain uncertain
Replied by captain uncertain on topic Re:All CB Sites should upgrade to CB 1.2.1 now!
Indeed. Install from ZIP tells me "Component Install: Another Component is already using directory" so I assume I have to over-write via FTP?

14 years 10 months ago #102258 by captain uncertain
Replied by captain uncertain on topic Re:All CB Sites should upgrade to CB 1.2.1 now!
Yes, thanks. I read the install script and the 'expert option' via FTP is too scary for me - too much to over-write (would it matter in which order it happened?) and the CB Tools backend checks and menu item configurations needed after that are beyond me. Appreciate it's all there and explained but I shall have to wait for 'sys admin' to run it. Is the security risk such that I should worry - does every second count?

14 years 10 months ago #102259 by Rapunzl
Honestly, you're making more of it than it is. ;) Instructions for upgrade are included in the package or you can download the Install Doc to your left. There are also several threads here in the forum regarding upgrades.

The hardest part of the expert upgrade is the FTP overwrite... some cPanels actually allow you to upload the zip to your Joomla directory and unzip it all in one step.

The CB Tools are all part of the configuration and are done automatically after you click on each of the five CB Tools options.

Does every second count? Only if you're one of the people that runs into a problem between now and the time you upgrade... as is true with any security upgrade.

PS - If you miss reading any part of the instructions, don't miss the part that says to BACKUP!

Post edited by: Rapunzl, at: 2009/06/17 01:23

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

14 years 10 months ago #102261 by beat
Please see exact security email sent to security list (newsletter) here to assert your personal risk factor:

Security Advisory for obsolete CB 1.1

What's really urgent, vulnerability exploit or not anyway, is, if you don't have that on a regular base, is to backup your CB 1.0/1.1 site on a daily basis, or now at least, and have that backup off-website at your home or office. JoomlaBackup is a joomla component to do that if your hoster doesn't provide you such a function.

This is anyways step 0 of upgrade instructions.

Then at least you can sleep well until you have time to update (as soon as possible).

As said, all CB 1.2 are ok (do not have that vulnerability), and are released since 6 months. obsoleting CB 1.1 since then.

Also for ugrading, follow the README_UPGRADE.txt which is in the zip. Upgrades are simple and smooth (unless you hacked your site instead of doing it in plugins). Please read that file in detail, it's the reference and detailed step by step.

In fact, easiest is expert upgrade, as you don't have to reinstall plugins... Well prepared, it's only a couple of minutes.

(of course the upgraded full documentation of Nick for CB 1.2 (see side-column) will help you lots in using the nice new features of CB 1.2.1 ;) )

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 10 months ago #102271 by ckayfish
It may be good to remind people that they will require PHP 5.2.3 (preferably 5.2.6) or later in order to use CB 1.2+

If people are uncomfortable doing this, you could probably find someone for $50 or so to verify pre-requisites, if required install a backup tool, backup your site, & perform the upgrade.

Tips for understanding and solving your issue - Props to Krileon for creating this.
My Opensource CB Plugins: Mutual Connections and MYCB Cookie available here

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn