CB Facebook Connect Plugin 1.0 and CB Twitter Connect Plugin 1.0 Released

13 years 11 months ago #133379 by chrisyork
I'm just wondering about this plugin and how it might be useful for our site... We have 650 members who log in using CB. There's a facebook page been created by a member and we want to make it easier to integrate the two (well, actually get people on facebook to use our community).

I've been looking through the site for a clear explanation of what the plugin does but perhaps I'm being a bit thick - can someone explain the integration thing in words of one syllable or less (!)

I'm wondering how this plugin works and whether people who have already registered as a member on our CB site can use their facebook account instead - or if they need to create a separate identity on our CB site? What we don't want is to duplicate the accounts... Does that make sense?

So if someone is using facebook (i.e. logged in there) can they come to our site and be classed as logged in, and if so can they link their existing CB profile to this facebook account. This would make it a really useful tool and one that I will become a subscriber for!

We have found that some of the folk who are already registered on our CB site are easily confused by having to log in (and many don't bother, missing out on the content we keep behind the 'registered users' curtain). So this might help, if someone is logged in to facebook they could then visit our CB site and be logged in automatically - or am I misunderstanding the way this works?

Oh, and is it easy for people to link their existing profiles - like I say some of our users are 'easily confused'...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 11 months ago #133498 by krileon

I've been looking through the site for a clear explanation of what the plugin does but perhaps I'm being a bit thick - can someone explain the integration thing in words of one syllable or less (!)

"Single Sign-on"

To be more detailed it allows users to login to YOUR site with THEIR Facebook accounts. This process will automatically create them an account, etc... "Linking" is also possible wherein a user already logged into your site can then login via Facebook and "link" the two accounts together allowing login via CB or login via Facebook to the same account on your site.

I'm wondering how this plugin works and whether people who have already registered as a member on our CB site can use their facebook account instead - or if they need to create a separate identity on our CB site? What we don't want is to duplicate the accounts... Does that make sense?

Yes this is possible by way of "linking" sometimes duplicate accounts can't be avoided though. If a user is not logged into their CB account and they login via Facebook it will create them a new account, but is easily fixable. Simply edit the user in User Management. Take note of their Facebook ID then copy and paste it to their exist account. Delete their old account and they're now linked properly.

So if someone is using facebook (i.e. logged in there) can they come to our site and be classed as logged in, and if so can they link their existing CB profile to this facebook account. This would make it a really useful tool and one that I will become a subscriber for!

Yes (simple reply; see previous replies as am repeating self, lol).

We have found that some of the folk who are already registered on our CB site are easily confused by having to log in (and many don't bother, missing out on the content we keep behind the 'registered users' curtain). So this might help, if someone is logged in to facebook they could then visit our CB site and be logged in automatically - or am I misunderstanding the way this works?

The user would need to authorize your site access to their Facebook account information, but yes this is how it works.

Oh, and is it easy for people to link their existing profiles - like I say some of our users are 'easily confused'...

Yes, takes 1-2 clicks.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 11 months ago #133570 by chrisyork
Hi Krileon,

Thanks for the clarification it sounds like it might do what we need with a little bit of 'coaching' of our members as we go.

Right, I'll head off and give the piggybank a shake and see if enough falls out...:whistle:

All the best and keep up the excellent work.

13 years 11 months ago #133787 by gmanish
Anybody tried if this works with jfusion integration? I have CB 1.2.2, PHPBB3, J1.5.17. I turned on the plugin. The authentication works in joomla but does not cascade to PHPBB3.

Post edited by: gmanish, at: 2010/05/22 15:51

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn