Custom/Advanced Search - The answers

14 years 11 months ago #99204 by nant
bluebox wrote:

Nick I'm pulling my hair out over here. How are you accomplishing this. This is exactly what I want for my users on my community site www.teenclassifieds.net.

But can't get it done. was there a module for this in the CB 1.2 download package? If so I did not see it. Please help

High level steps:

+ make sure that all CB Fields you want to be searchable are marked as such (CB Field Management backend)

+ make a CB User List with (or without) these fields.

+ mark the CB User List to be advanced searchable (think this is the last parameter in the list)

+ display the list in frontend (CB User List menu item, etc) and click on search button

All of this is standard CB 1.2.

Hopefully once you get things working on your own you can post a revision to your first post in this thread as it is apparent (at least to me) that CB does all of what you want (and before May-19-2009).

In the detailed documentation you should focus on the CB User List chapter.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #99229 by n_tag
Replied by n_tag on topic Re:CB Custom/Advanced Search - My findings

Built into CB 1.2 stable.
You should be able to figure things out though without extra help. If you need more guidance just ask.

Nick, if you could just confirm the points below for me:

1. With CB 1.2 Stable, is the functionality built-in to provide users with a "Search Page". One click from the menu (or displayed on the home page) takes them to a page with drop downs and a search button? No list displayed below, no need to click "Search" in order to display the advanced options (drop downs)?

2. Is it possible for the drop downs on the advanced search NOT to give the is, is one of, is notand simply allow a user to choose from the possible field values? eg: Sex: Male or Female - clearly a user doesnt need to choose "is" Male, just take their pick of the two options!

I'm aware that my first comment has annoyed you and that I havent subscribed has annoyed you further. I will be happy to subscribe if the two above points are possible, otherwise I'm going to have to pay someone to write a custom plugin for CB! + I have paid the full £86 for CBSubs so you've had some money out of me! B)

Appreciate the help and hard work.

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/19 15:18

14 years 11 months ago #99267 by nant
n_tag wrote:

Nick, if you could just confirm the points below for me:

1. With CB 1.2 Stable, is the functionality built-in to provide users with a "Search Page". One click from the menu (or displayed on the home page) takes them to a page with drop downs and a search button? No list displayed below, no need to click "Search" in order to display the advanced options (drop downs)?

templates.joomlapolis.com/demo/mycommunity/j15/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=usersList&Itemid=55

demonstrates the user list functionality.

There are 4 user lists in the drop-down box that demonstrate the 4 search capabilities.

2. Is it possible for the drop downs on the advanced search NOT to give the is, is one of, is notand simply allow a user to choose from the possible field values? eg: Sex: Male or Female - clearly a user doesnt need to choose "is" Male, just take their pick of the two options!

Try the 'Simple Any Word Match Search' example in the previous link.

I'm aware that my first comment has annoyed you and that I havent subscribed has annoyed you further.

Actually first part annoyed me much more than second ;)
Using statements like "being new" on the one hand and "MAJOR" flaw. "There is no way" (bold). Searching the forums for hours ... etc.

I will be happy to subscribe if the two above points are possible, otherwise I'm going to have to pay someone to write a custom plugin for CB! + I have paid the full £86 for CBSubs so you've had some money out of me! B)

Appreciate the help and hard work.

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/19 15:18

No need to subscribe, although I do believe it would help you.

14 years 11 months ago #99373 by n_tag
Is there a way to display the search options, without having to click "Search"? When the user chooses the type of search they want, it automatically expands the page with the search criteria?

My ideal scenario is this:

User (Type 1) clicks on the "Search Type 2 users" menu item. This then loads the "Type 2 Search" page, where already on screen are the search criteria choices, relevant to the Type 2 user profiles.

Thats what I'm trying to achieve, at the moment it doesnt seem very intuitive for the users to effectively click search twice.....hope this makes sense!?

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/20 18:04

Post edited by: n_tag, at: 2009/05/20 18:05
Attachments:

14 years 11 months ago #99387 by n_tag
Nick, Yes that is exaclty what I'm after. Still not sure how to do it from the admin console but simply adding &searchmode=1 to my list URLs does the job.

You'll see I've edited my orginal post. Apologies for being an arse although I don't think it's the easiest way you could have built the search function! ;)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn