[SOLVED] Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #230494 by andor
I have used a birthday wishes mailer (see image for setup) for a couple of days and triggered it manually each day, just to see that it worked as it should. It worked really well and our members are really happy for the mail!

Yesterday I set up a cron job for this mailer. Before, however, I changed my own birthday to yesterday's date and ran the cron url to see if it would send a mail to me, despite the fact that I triggered it for the other birthday guys earlier. I got the mail as planned and changed my birthday date again - now to today's date, to be able to confirm that the cron job would do its work this morning.

The others with a birthday got the mail this morning, according to the "Sent mail" log, but I didn't. What may the reason be?

Is it the fact that I already got the mail yesterday, based on the "old birthday date" and if so, what will happen next year for the birthday wishes mail, for all members that got their mail this year?

I guess it's the wording for some of the settings that makes it a bit difficult for me to really understand the logic behind, e.g. "Relative to this date of the plans below" and "Order Date of the order wanting to use this promotion".

Thanks,

Joomla 2.5.13
CB 1.9.1
CBSubs 3.0.0
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago #230514 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail
You need to compare against the current date. As is I believe you're comparing to the order date of their subscription. The below should work to provide what you're wanting.

Date A, Field A or Value A: Following CB field
CB Field A: Your Field
Date B, Field B or Value B: Constant Value or String (CB substitutions can be used)
Value B: [cb:date format="Y-m-d" /]
Condition 1 (> for Dates): Birthday function: Date A Matches Month and Day but not Year of Date B

The above will ensure the birthday field is always comparing against the current date. You can find more information on substitution usage below.

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 9 months ago #230519 by andor
Replied by andor on topic Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail
Thank you so much for your swift replies - not just this one ;)

I actually followed the instruction in the manual, even though I wondered if it was right. Figures 250-252 in the manual illustrate my initial setup.

So, for a "vanilla" birthday wishes mail, the setup would be:

Joomla 2.5.13
CB 1.9.1
CBSubs 3.0.0
Attachments:

10 years 9 months ago #230540 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail
Yup, that configuration looks correct now. Please let me know if it doesn't work properly this time, but you should be good to go.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #230548 by andor
Replied by andor on topic Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail
Same thing happened today - all the others got their mail but not me, as the test person, where I changed the birthday date to today.

As I said earlier, I got my first mail after changing my own date and running the cron url "manually" a couple of days ago.

Is it the fact that it's the second and third mail for the same user?
Maybe a flag being set somewhere?

Strange :huh:

Joomla 2.5.13
CB 1.9.1
CBSubs 3.0.0

10 years 9 months ago #230550 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Mailer plugin logic for birthday mail

andor wrote: Same thing happened today - all the others got their mail but not me, as the test person, where I changed the birthday date to today.

As I said earlier, I got my first mail after changing my own date and running the cron url "manually" a couple of days ago.

Is it the fact that it's the second and third mail for the same user?
Maybe a flag being set somewhere?

Strange :huh:

We discussed this internally with Beat and this is a summary of status:

Each mailer will only be sent once per matched triggering condition
conditions tab is just an additional condition to the trigger

so in this case, as soon as registration date changes, another mail will be sent
but not if birthday changes after first mail has been sent out

the sent mails table is used for that check

to do the birthdays usecase, or any other CB field (other than registration date), we would need to extend the triggering condition's setting

implementation for handing user table is already there

--

So in summary, as things are now you cannot have a single mailer to send every year birthday emails.

To redo your test with same user you would need to manually find and remove the first sent email row from the table.

You cannot have a single mailer for birthdays that is useful for more than one year.

Once solution would be to manually replicate the initial mailer item once a year.

We intend to improve this with CB 2.0 functionality.

Hope this is helpful.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.302 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn