Block outbound email addresses?

10 years 8 months ago #231957 by cpaschen
Block outbound email addresses? was created by cpaschen
Is there any way to completely block outbound emails being sent by GJ Invites (or CB invites)?

To avoid spamming issues we need to be able to prevent sending to individual email addresses.

Just wondering where I might be able to set 'blocked' email addresses.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #231977 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Block outbound email addresses?
You want to block it from sending to specific email addresses or to block it from sending to email addresses at all? For GJ you can disable Email inviting within GJ > Config > Groups > Invites and remove "Email" from "Invite By". For CB Invites you can't stop it from sending emails as that's its point (to invite people to join the site). There is no feature to block from sending to a list of email addresses in either of those.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 8 months ago #232006 by cpaschen
Replied by cpaschen on topic Block outbound email addresses?
We need a way to block from sending to specific email addresses.

The main reason is that we had someone send to a known 'honeypot' email address (don't ask why ... they are users ... what can I say).

This caused our email account to get a 'notice' and could have gotten us blocked as a spammer.

Just wondering how others are preventing potential spam issues like this?

10 years 8 months ago #232009 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Block outbound email addresses?

We need a way to block from sending to specific email addresses.

There's no feature to do this.

The main reason is that we had someone send to a known 'honeypot' email address (don't ask why ... they are users ... what can I say).

Honeypot email addresses for the most part change hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly. So there's really no stopping this even if you could supply it a list of email addresses.

Just wondering how others are preventing potential spam issues like this?

You can't prevent this. There's no real way to stop issues between the keyboard and chair except educate the user. It's pretty strange for someone to email a spam list email address and had to be on purpose and if that's the case you should consider banning the user. Nobody just accidentally emails a honeypot address as they're obscure for a reason and hidden inside of source code so bots pick them up and wouldn't make any sense to a human.

If the user that did this is a spam registration you can look into using CB AntiSpam to help protect against spam registrations. You can also add Captcha to the invite features to help avoid spamming.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn