[SOLVED] Taxes Help!

2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #324485 by bizguy
[SOLVED] Taxes Help! was created by bizguy
I have spent the day trying to configure the tax rules, and what makes sense to me doesn't produce the correct results.

Item cost: $230 - varies by item
Non-taxable portion: $75 - varies by item

Federal tax: 5% - fixed for all sales
Provincial tax: 8% - varies by province

I've tried so many combos, ready to delete all and start over, but stuck how to proceed.

Thanks,
Ed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 11 months ago #324490 by bizguy
Replied by bizguy on topic Taxes Help!
I have been able to configure the provinces, and federal zone issue, so my question comes down to this.

Is it possible to configure the taxes to be calculated on a portion of the total, specifically:

Item cost: $230 (variable on item)
Non-taxable portion: $75

Tax Rate: 13%

2 years 11 months ago #324491 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Taxes Help!
So you want to tax the amount minus $75? Using your example $230 you only want to tax $155, is that correct? or are you wanting to exclude items in a basket (so multiple plans purchased at once) from being taxed? Please provide a screenshot of a basket with your current tax rates as well so we can better understand your configuration.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 11 months ago #324498 by bizguy
Yes, in this example I wanted to tax the $155 only.

The reason I didn't use a fixed amount, was that there is a $30 initiation fee, so while the first payment was based on $230 total, the ongoing fee becomes $200 of which only $125 is taxable.

I'm wondering if it would be better to require 2-consecutive subscriptions, 1 for the taxables and 1 for the non-taxables, with the $30 initiation fee being added to the first-period price for the taxable.

2 years 11 months ago #324500 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Taxes Help!
Ok, it sounds like you have 2 separate plans in the basket. 1 plan should be taxed and 1 should not. That's doable. The below should work.

1. Create a new Tax Rule with "Default Tax Rule for plans" set to "No"
2. Create a new Tax Rate in the Tax Rule created in step 1 (use whatever tax settings you need here)
3. Edit the taxable plans and select your new Tax Rate created in step 2 in "Tax rule to apply" under the Tax tab

Believe that should do what you're wanting.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bizguy

2 years 11 months ago #324514 by bizguy
Thanks, Kyle!

Yes, I ended up breaking the items into 2-parts, one with tax, one without. As the one without tax was common across all items, I used this as the main item, made all the rest child items, and required that the main item be selected with any child.

Everything seems to be working as required.

Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: krileon

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.342 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn