[SOLVED] Image Files and Storage Management Planning

2 years 10 months ago #325071 by AlexRag
Replied by AlexRag on topic Image Files and Storage Management Planning
The original image was close to portrait mode (2732x2049 pixels)

Bu when I re-saved it cropped to 1280x960 and then again at 1000x200, before re-uploading, I still ended up with the pixelation. So, I'm at a loss as to what's happened.

Could it be the the thumbnail setting that I set? (640x320)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 10 months ago #325079 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Image Files and Storage Management Planning
Profile view doesn't use the thumbnail. It uses the full size. The thumbnail is used for userlists, Connections tab, etc.. I don't know why it's pixelated, but as I said that's not meant for portrait images. If you can provide the original image I can run some tests on my end to try and see what's happening.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 10 months ago #325099 by AlexRag
Thanks Kyle. I'll send you a link to download the files in private message.

2 years 10 months ago #325105 by krileon
The aspect ratio of the image results in it having 853 x 640 dimensions. That means on any display beyond 800px it's going to look pixelated as it gets stretched. See the below where the canvas is being displayed at 856 width. It looks fine there and as the screen gets larger it will pixelate since it's being stretched to cover the canvas background. That picture is just not a good fit for canvas. It's very close to a square image where canvas wants a landscape image for best aspect ratio.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

2 years 10 months ago #325116 by AlexRag
I can see that with the original file size 2732x2049 pixels, which translates to 853 x 640

That's what made me try other files that were landscape proportions rather than portrait. First I uploaded 1280x960 and then again at 1000x200. Both these end up pixelated as well. Are these also getting resized down to 853 pixels wide? Is this something that adjustable?

2 years 10 months ago #325136 by krileon
It depends on the size of the container whether it's going to scale up or down. If it scales up it's going to likely be pixelated with an image like that as it has a lot of fine details. So even 1000x200 will pixelate if it has to scale up the width to cover the background. You could try doubling the maximum height/width settings and re-upload. So have the following for example.

Maximum Image Height: 1280
Maximum Image Width: 2560

Shouldn't need to do the same for thumbnail, but you can if you want to. But if you're using a fluid template for example and the component output within your template is like 2000px it's going to scale up if the width isn't 2000px and you'll get pixilation. There just isn't any avoiding this.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn