Link fields from Joomla database table to CB so they can be used in CB Lists

1 year 4 days ago #333560 by ernienet
The CB Lists capability is very powerful - filtering, sorting, and displaying information in a customizable way - I've used it a lot for my clients. It would make a great stand-alone extension if it was reworked to be able to access all the tables in a Joomla database - including 3rd party tables.

I'd like to be able to connect a few user fields from another extension so I can use those fields in CB Lists.

It seems CB Auto Actions might be the solution - to create those fields in the CB Fields list, then somehow have the corresponding fields in the other extension's table to populate the CB fields. I wouldn't really know where to start to do this.

The other extension also uses the UserID from Joomla Core, so I know that's how they would connect.

The fields cannot be editable in CB and must update with changes in the other extension in real-time so that the CB List is always displaying current data.

I'm currently working with Joomla 3.10.x, but I plan to start updating all my websites over the summer to Joomla 4.x. So whatever I do now, needs to translate into Joomla 4.

I'd appreciate the simplest solution to this - I'm not a coder, but I know how to access my database so I can identify the tables and fields that I need to sync.

Thank you,
Ernie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 4 days ago #333562 by krileon
We'll probably make a generic form builder for CB 3.x once fields are no longer coupled to profiles, which the data could then be used for a generic listing feature. It's a bit impossible right now since fields are directly locked to profiles in almost every way and especially userlists. Note this isn't a guarantee or promise. Just something we might consider.

Your only option right now would be to look into 3rd party form builders as they usually have a means of displaying their data as a table. Alternatively look into extensions specifically for displaying data as they usually have filtering features.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

1 year 4 days ago #333564 by ernienet
Is CB Auto Actions a possible solution until then? If so, how would I go about doing it?

I don't know how I would code it, but it would involve matching the UserID for each table, then having fields in CB to match those in the other extension, and keeping them in sync.

Does CB Auto Actions do this?

Thank you,
Ernie

1 year 1 day ago #333570 by krileon
You can push CB data to other tables and external systems using CB Auto Actions, but you'll have to entirely code that. You'd either use a Query action if you just need to work with SQL, a Code action if you need to work with PHP, or a Request action if you need to send it as an HTTP request.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.849 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn