Activity Comments no longer available to registered users after J4 upgrade

2 months 5 days ago - 2 months 5 days ago #337287 by boyjahq
A couple of days ago we finally made the transition to J4. Most things are working, but some are not. Happily CB and CBSubs functionality seems good! EXCEPT, we are having problems with Comments. Since the upgrade, logged in registered users are no longer able to leave comments on another user's profile. Previous comments are visible, but the input box that allows the addition of new comments has disappeared. Oddly, if I am logged in as an Admin (Superuser), I CAN see the comments input box. So I am guessing that somewhere in the deep rabbit hole of settings, something has Access set to Superusers instead of Registered? I have spent hours going through all of the Activity settings, switching things on and off and emptying cache then reloading the page, but I cannot fix it. Do you have advice as to where I should look to fix this?

Another issue is that, when I have the comments tab open on a user profile for a few minutes, duplicates of existing posts keep being added to list of posts. The longer the page is open, it continues. I have disabled Auto Update and Auto Load in all the places I can find such a setting (if those settings are even related), but it still continues to happen. Any advice about how to make this stop happening?

Joomla! 4.4.3
Community Builder 2.9.1
PHP Version 8.2.15
Database Type mysql
Database Version 8.0.35-percona-sure1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 months 4 days ago #337288 by krileon

I have spent hours going through all of the Activity settings, switching things on and off and emptying cache then reloading the page, but I cannot fix it. Do you have advice as to where I should look to fix this?

Streams are managed from 2 places and 2 places alone. CB Activity > Streams > Activity and CB Activity > Streams > Comments. More than likely what you're seeing is the Connected access check. Meaning users must be connected to one another to comment on profile activity. If you don't want this then edit your comment streams in CB Activity > Streams > Comments and turn the connected access check off under the Create tab.

Another issue is that, when I have the comments tab open on a user profile for a few minutes, duplicates of existing posts keep being added to list of posts. The longer the page is open, it continues. I have disabled Auto Update and Auto Load in all the places I can find such a setting (if those settings are even related), but it still continues to happen. Any advice about how to make this stop happening?

Comments tab? Do you mean the Activity tab? That sounds like a possible Auto Update issue. Auto Update is turned off for individual streams in CB Activity > Streams > Activity. Simply edit your streams and turn it off under the Features tab.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

2 months 4 days ago - 2 months 4 days ago #337290 by boyjahq
The stream in this case has these settings under the Create tab. Changing it from Non-Owner to Owner Only does not change anything. Still no comment box. If I change it Public or to Registered, then the comment box shows up, but it also allows the person whose profile it is to add new comments. We are using this as a way for users to leave feedback/reviews on another users profile, so we don't want the user whose profile it is to be able to write their own reviews/feedback about themselves. We do however want them to be able to respond to comments that are left by others. This system worked perfectly for us with our Joomla 3 site.

Attachments:

2 months 4 days ago #337291 by krileon
Then it sounds like a problem with your ACL. The Access parameter is just a Joomla view access level check. It's nothing more than that. It has no means of checking owner vs viewer access. That ideally should just be left as Public or Registered.

This system worked perfectly for us with our Joomla 3 site.

I don't see how this could have possibly worked before as CB Activity 5.0 access check was exactly the same for that parameter. Maybe you were using CB Auto Actions to add custom access checks? As that would be the only way to do this in CB Activity 5.0 and 6.0.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boyjahq

2 months 4 days ago - 2 months 4 days ago #337293 by boyjahq
In stream settings Create, what does Non-Owner and  Owner Only mean? If we set it to Non-Owner, what is the intended outcome? We have never made any changes to our ACL, so it is all default Joomla settings. 

Also, there is something off about comments showing time passed when post was made (data-cbtimeago-datetime?). If it is a day or year or hour, it works. It shows something like 1d or 2y. or 3h But if it less than 1 hour, it now shows a number followed by a comma.

Attachments:

2 months 3 days ago #337299 by krileon

In stream settings Create, what does Non-Owner and Owner Only mean? If we set it to Non-Owner, what is the intended outcome? We have never made any changes to our ACL, so it is all default Joomla settings.

That's stream owner and it only applies to profile streams. So if you're not using a profile stream it won't do anything. I need to know exactly what stream you're using for this to be investigated any further. For example what activity stream in CB Activity > Streams > Activity is this happening to and what comment stream is set for the activity stream in the Features > Comments section.

Also, there is something off about comments showing time passed when post was made (data-cbtimeago-datetime?). If it is a day or year or hour, it works. It shows something like 1d or 2y. or 3h But if it less than 1 hour, it now shows a number followed by a comma.

That might be a language string problem. The timeago language strings are as follows.
Key: TIMEAGO_FUTURE
String: in %s
Key: TIMEAGO_PAST
String: %s ago
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUT_A_SECOND TIMEAGO_LESS_THAN_A_MINUTE
String: less than a minute
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_SECONDS TIMEAGO_LESS_THAN_A_MINUTE
String: less than a minute
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUT_A_MINUTE
String: about a minute
Key: TIMEAGO_N_MINUTES
String: %d minutes
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUTE_ONE_HOUR
String: about an hour
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUT_N_HOURS
String: about %d hours
Key: TIMEAGO_A_DAY
String: a day
Key: TIMEAGO_N_DAYS
String: %d days
Key: TIMEAGO_A_WEEK
String: a week
Key: TIMEAGO_N_WEEKS
String: %d weeks
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUT_A_MONTH
String: about a month
Key: TIMEAGO_N_MONTHS
String: %d months
Key: TIMEAGO_ABOUT_A_YEAR
String: about a year
Key: TIMEAGO_N_YEARS
String: %d years
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_FUTURE
String: %s
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_PAST
String: %s
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUT_A_SECOND
String: now
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_SECONDS
String: %ds
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUT_A_MINUTE
String: 1m
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_MINUTES
String: %dm
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUTE_ONE_HOUR
String: 1h
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUT_N_HOURS
String: %dh
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_A_DAY
String: 1d
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_DAYS
String: %dd
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_A_WEEK
String: 1w
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_WEEKS
String: %dw
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUT_A_MONTH
String: 1mo
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_MONTHS
String: %dmo
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_ABOUT_A_YEAR
String: 1y
Key: TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_YEARS
String: %dy

Ensure those have been translated correctly. For less than 1 hour it should be using TIMEAGO_SHORT_N_MINUTES language key.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn