License server question

14 years 7 months ago #113193 by registryhack
License server question was created by registryhack
I bought the entry version of CBsubs to give things a try and ran into issues with trying to connect to the license server. This has me worried. I'm doing a site for an organization with approx 10K members and I'd like to know the answer to the following questions before I get the unlimited version.

1. Does this software ping the license server once on install or all the time?

2. If all the time, if it doesn't find the license server after however number of tries, does it eventually disable the frontend or backend or both?

3. I thought CBSubs was a perpetual license in that you bought the software and support but when the support ran out, the software would continue working (implying there was no license server needed). Does CBSubs require the remote license server connection after the support subscription has expired? In other words, for the entire lifetime of the installation?

The reason I'm asking is that even though I like the product, I'm not about to put a massive amount of effort building a site using CBsubs and then if Joomlapolis goes belly up in a year or two (sorry guys, no offense meant), I'm screwed, or I should say the organization is screwed. Please tell me I'm wrong and explain how this can't happen. Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 7 months ago #113198 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:License server question
  1. Pings at different intervals. Version checking is done every time you navigate to the plugin in the backend to ensure you're up to date.
  2. If continued failure to communicate with license server then yes it's possible your CBSubs installation could be disabled.
  3. License server communication is indefinite. Your license never expires however just support (upgrades).

:laugh: Joomlapolis isn't going anywhere. We've got a strong and steady user base that increases daily. We'll be here for far more then awhile. ;)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

14 years 7 months ago #113202 by registryhack
Replied by registryhack on topic Re:License server question
Kyle,

I would post this privately but I don't see a way to PM you. I think you guys should really rethink the way this license model is structured. I don't mind paying the price for the unlimited package and would even pay for lifetime support if necessary. However my situation is that the non-profit organization's workers are volunteers (even though there is paid membership). I'm volunteering to put the site together, get it working then I will likely be gone (it will be up for at least 3 years, probably more). I'm glad Joomapolis is doing well but you are asking that I gamble a site for 10K users with a significant interaction with its members and a consistent and significant revenue stream on a connection to a remote server for a $400 piece of software. If there is a firewall issue in the future which doesn't effect the site but affects connection to your server, I'm down. If your site goes down, I'm down. If you go out of business, I'm down hard until the site can be re-written. Call me paranoid but I've been around and stuff happens.

14 years 7 months ago #113206 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:License server question
Hi registryhack,

No problem explaining this in private or in public, as you prefer. :)

CBSubs is sold with a floating license, which is not bound to a particular server, IP address or site.

This has been designed that way for the convenience of the user: :)
  • CBSubs can be moved as needed when e.g. your site changes hoster, or your hoster changes server or IP address, without worrying about CBSubs stopping working. ;)
  • CBSubs users-limits or number of installations can even be simply upgraded from your account here, it will automatically propagate to your installations at next check. :)
  • You always have an overview of installations running from your profile here
Our license server is fully redundant, secured, remotely backed-up, and fully monitored 24/7/365 from hardware through the OS and up to application level. We are in the process these days of making it even more redundant and robust than any other floating license server I know of yet. (We evaluated quite a few which didn't give us the peace of mind that we wanted our users to have, before designing, implementing and testing the CBSubs one). ;)

CB and CBSubs is a team, and not a one-man show, the company operating Joomlapolis is healthy, managed safely and has been around since many years, with rock-solid references. Our servers is in fact a multiple redundant server-clusters are on multiple continents in different multi-tier-one-connected secured datacenters.

As you can see, knowing this is very important, things have been taken extremely seriously to fully address peace-of-mind concerns.

So far for the global advantages of floating licenses and non-risks. ;)

For the technical details:

Normally, the CBSubs installation will check only every few days its license status (btw most of your professional PC software will check at each startup or more frequently). Of course if your server installation changes, a recheck will also happen.

Now, in case of communication loss (e.g. hoster added an outgoing firewall rule as you mention), a valid installed license won't stop working suddenly. Your CBSubs installation will first retry for a few days while displaying a message in CBSubs backend, then after few days of unsecssful retrials, start sending all admins of the site emails while continuing to retry.

So before things that worked fine suddenly stop working you have quite some time.

Putting things in perspective, the likelyhood of your site changing server, IP address, or domain name in the next 3 years, and thus suddenly invalidating a non-floating server-bound license is quite larger than anything license-affecting going bad here for more than a day (without consequences on valid licenses as explained above).

That said (sorry didn't have time to shorten my reply) :D :

However if you prefer to have an unlimited users lifetime support license be server-bound instead of floating, we can convert your floating one to be server bound-licked and non-transferable. If you prefer that for peace of mind, or wish any additional private details to give you full peace of mind, please contact me by PM with details for a private quote, as this would be a first-time request.

(to PM just click the small icon on the bottom left of this post and you will see a PM box on my profile).

Hope that clarifies things, shows the thought process which has lead to that solution, the design and implementation behind it, and allows you to choose the best solution for your own peace of mind. :)

Best Regards,

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn