[SOLVED] registration workflow: instructions email??

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #166848 by cbrace
Hello,

On our site, we don't allow visitors to register, we add new accounts manually.

Just now I have added a new user using the standard Joomla User manager.

This user receives the customary terse message from the server with username and password. Previously, this has completed the registration process.

However, when the user now tries to log in, the CB login module inteferes:

Your registration process is not yet complete! Please check again your email for further instructions that have just been resent. If you don't find the email, check your spam-box. Make sure that your email account options are not set to immediately delete spam. If that was the case, just try logging in again to receive a new instructions email.

In config/Registration, I see this option, which has been off:

Require Email Confirmation
Set "yes" to send an email to users upon registration with a confirmation link.

I have looked through the rest of the config options, also those of the Login module, but I don't see anything else which might be affecting this.

Is there some default behaviour with regard to registration messages happening here? I have not configured any "further instructions" mail.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 10 months ago #166894 by krileon

Just now I have added a new user using the standard Joomla User manager.

This is your problem. Run CB tools to synchronize the users. Do not use Joomla user manager, ever. You must use CB user management or your users will go out of sync. The approval and confirmation features are exclusive to CB.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 10 months ago #166919 by cbrace
Understood.

Here, however, is my predicament: I've set up a several tabs worth of profile data, some of which is required. However, as admin, I don't know all the answers, such as "foreign languages", so now I can't enter a new user simply using User manager --> New.

I would like some way of adding just name and email and letting the new user complete the rest. Any ideas?

Thanks, as always.

12 years 10 months ago #166925 by cbrace
Following up my own message:

I see that this extension does exactly what I need, and it is CB-aware: Add user Frontend
I can add a new user and the above-mentioned message doesn't appear.

While this would work for me, naturally I would rather do this via CB if possible.

Any ideas would be welcome.

12 years 10 months ago #166998 by krileon

cbrace wrote: Understood.

Here, however, is my predicament: I've set up a several tabs worth of profile data, some of which is required. However, as admin, I don't know all the answers, such as "foreign languages", so now I can't enter a new user simply using User manager --> New.

I would like some way of adding just name and email and letting the new user complete the rest. Any ideas?

Thanks, as always.

You can disable backend validation of fields to prevent it from forcing you to save a 100% complete profile. This is disabled within CB configuration on the user profile tab.

cbrace wrote: Following up my own message:

I see that this extension does exactly what I need, and it is CB-aware: Add user Frontend
I can add a new user and the above-mentioned message doesn't appear.

While this would work for me, naturally I would rather do this via CB if possible.

Any ideas would be welcome.

There's no need for this if you're creating users from backend. The extension allows creation on frontend, which in most cases is not necessary. CB has no frontend user creation feature beyond the registration. We're not the developers of the extension however so can not afford you any guarantee.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 10 months ago #167026 by cbrace

krileon wrote: You can disable backend validation of fields to prevent it from forcing you to save a 100% complete profile. This is disabled within CB configuration on the user profile tab.

Found it. thank you.

There's no need for this if you're creating users from backend. The extension allows creation on frontend, which in most cases is not necessary.

I respectfully disagree. It depends on the situation.

In my case, the more site administration I can delegate to others, the happier I am. But I don't want to give my colleagues back-end access, not because I don't trust them but simply because it is too complex. As a website builder I embrace the flexibility of Joomla in general and extensions like CB in particular, but with that flexibility comes complexity, and I spend a lot of time trying to shield non-technical users of my site from that complexity.

That front-end extension I mentioned above is perfect for my non-technical colleagues: Nothing but name, username, email fields, and a submit button.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.928 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn