Create multiple group types - not categories

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #179260 by w2learn
Hi,

I know GroupJive allows me to categorize groups under various headings. However, can I create different types of groups altogether, each type with its own directory and independent categories? How?

e.g

Group Type1 : supports forum, user-mgr workflows etc.
Group Type2 : only wall, no user-subscription allowed etc

Thx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 7 months ago #179336 by krileon
It's not possible to create custom group types. Group features such as forum and wall are configured on a group by group basis however.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 7 months ago #179472 by w2learn
Hi,

Umm..could you elaborate how i can use the ability to change settings per group to create the "two types" of groups? is it possible to do conditional actions in GJ directory (like for CB profiles). eg can I create two menu items for "create group" and based on which one is selected, set the resulting groups settings?

Else, is there any 3rd party plugin/module that can do this?

Thx

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #179479 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Re: Create multiple group types - not categories

w2learn wrote: ...
Else, is there any 3rd party plugin/module that can do this?...

The only competitor is Super Groups by axxis.gr
Not sure about the differences and features... you may try the demo and ask the developer.

GJ:
Pre-defined or different default settings on group creation sounds very interesting to me... please, post your experiences here. I just tried an older GJ version, and presenting all possible group-parameters is too much for the average end-user. Krileons opinion is very much appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

12 years 7 months ago #179486 by krileon

Umm..could you elaborate how i can use the ability to change settings per group to create the "two types" of groups?

You'll need to edit each group individually and select what you want the variables to be. Then from backend GJ > Configuration > Groups > Defaults (new to GJ 2.4) you can disable the visibility of those parameters so group owners can't change them.

is it possible to do conditional actions in GJ directory (like for CB profiles). eg can I create two menu items for "create group" and based on which one is selected, set the resulting groups settings?

No.

Else, is there any 3rd party plugin/module that can do this?

GJ 2.x is very new and as far as I am aware no 3rd party developer has tried extending it. GJ 2.x has a full API and triggers for basically everything so new features are very possible.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn