Renewal options

12 years 2 months ago #193358 by akasharkbow
Renewal options was created by akasharkbow
Hi there

I'm looking for the best way to offer renewals in the following situation.

We offer subscriptions to a print magazine, for 1, 2 or 3 years (set up as 3 different child plans). Subscribers frequently wish to change their subscription length when they renew.

Is there a way to offer them the choice of plan length when the hit the "renew" button? At the moment they have the option to renew their existing plan OR select a new plan, which takes effect immediately rather than beginning at the time that their current subscription expires.

Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 2 months ago #193425 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: Renewal options

At the moment they have the option to renew their existing plan OR select a new plan

This is the only available method. They'll need to essentially "upgrade" to one of the other durations.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 2 months ago #193455 by akasharkbow
Replied by akasharkbow on topic Re: Renewal options
Is there a way to change the "upgrade" options so they take effect after the current subscription ends?

12 years 2 months ago #193607 by krileon
Yes, but you'll need to edit your plans and add a condition to them on the Workflows tab to only be available if the other plans are not actively subscribed. That's a show/hide scenario though. The best I can suggest is enable pro-rating so it'll apply the remaining value of their previous subscription to the new subscription. It doesn't extend the duration, but it's sort of a refund almost as the value they didn't use is applied to the new subscription.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 1 month ago #193948 by akasharkbow
Replied by akasharkbow on topic Re: Renewal options
Thanks Krileon. Would it be an option to use a SQL action to change the NEW subscription start time to be equal to the end time of the current subscription?

The problem with pro-rating is that we lose money unnecessarily every time someone renews. Not what we hope for - and not what the customer intends either.

12 years 1 month ago #194082 by krileon

Thanks Krileon. Would it be an option to use a SQL action to change the NEW subscription start time to be equal to the end time of the current subscription?

I suppose that's a possibility, but I don't recommend it. You'd need to adjust the _cbsubs_subscriptions database table, but if your query isn't 100% correct it could screw up your users subscription or other users subscriptions. So please test thoroughly. This still doesn't really help the fact that the previous plan isn't technically "active" anymore so their new subscription won't immediately do anything. I still recommend using prorating or conditions to prevent upgrade until expired.

The problem with pro-rating is that we lose money unnecessarily every time someone renews. Not what we hope for - and not what the customer intends either.

Prorating doesn't apply to renewals. It only applies to upgrades. For example if I'm subscribed to Plan 1 and I've been subscribed for 3 out of 4 months yet I paid for 4 months. Lets say I upgrade to Plan 2; It'll then take my remaining value (1 month) and calculate its dollar value based off the price of the plan and subtract that from the cost of Plan 2. It causes the customer to simply not lose 1 month of payments unnecessarily. This is only done on upgrades. Renewing Plan 1 while subscribed to Plan 1 does no prorating and you pay the full amount to renew.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds