mailer timestamp and mailer queue issue

12 years 1 month ago #197634 by mothersofboys
mailer timestamp and mailer queue issue was created by mothersofboys
Hi

I have a mailer set up to execute 5 minutes after a user's last online date. Start validity date at April 10.

I have determined that the "last online" time is when that user signs out.

But when I look at the timestamps - I'm seeing weird discrepancies.

My global settings are correct for -7:00 GMT = which is Mountain Standard Time

When I look at a test user's "last online" in the CB User Manager - I am seeing that the last online time is registering at 9:47pm MST when in actuality the test user's last online time at logout was 10:47pm MST

I have verified that my hosting company's server time is also correct.

When I process the mailer queue to generate the list of emails - for the mailer that is triggered with "5 minutes after last online time" - it is not picking up the logged out test user that logged out at 10:47pm MST. I ran this queue at 10:55pm MST.

In my older version of mailer - there was a 5 hour delay / time difference. Is this still going on? As in I could do a login-logout with a test user account -- and the mailer queue would not pick up this activity until 5 hours later.

I was hoping that moving into 1.3.0 RC2 - this weird timing issue would be fixed.

I would really like to use this mailer triggered by last online and not on registration date.

I'm on CB 1.8 (not RC)
Subs 1.3.0 RC2
J! 1.5.26

I think part of my uncertainty here also has to do with the "But do not send message if it's later than:" parameter.

How this parameter works and how it reads is confusing to me.
I would think that when paired with the trigger parameter of "Automatically send message at following date:" - I interpret this to be

"send the mail 5 minutes after last online date but don't send the email if it's been more than 90 days since their last online date"...

When in reality, these two parameters actually work out to execute this way

"send the email 5 minutes after the last online date to anyone signed out in the last 90 days".

and the "5 minutes after" has yet to be determined in my case since there seems to be some weird 5 hour delay. I execute the mailer queue to generate the list and even though a test user signed out 30 minutes ago - the queue is not picking up the test user's log out time. But I bet if I wait and run the queue again in 5 hours - it will pick up that test user's log out ("last online date").

And I guess all this "5 minutes after" time-framing is really irrelevant since the email queue and the send have to be manually executed by me when I get around to it - until I get a cron job written with the help of my hosting server. Without a proper cron job built - the email send could be 5 days after their last login date, or 5 weeks. The email send won't happen in 'real time' until a cron job is written.

Is that correct?

Still - when building the queue - it's frustrating/confusing to not see users in the list that I know should be there because the just signed out 30 minutes prior to my building the mail queue.

I'll check again in a few hours and report back if the queue picked up my test user after a 5+hour wait.

Thanks
LRG of MOB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #197669 by mothersofboys
Replied by mothersofboys on topic Re: mailer timestamp and mailer queue issue
Yep, as I suspected....

I ran the queue at 10:03am MST today, 4-14-2012, and my test accounts (emailaccount04 and emailaccount06) that I used at 9:45pmMST 4-13-2012 showed up, finally.

There is still a 5+ hr delay of when the mailer queue picks up the "last online time"
And there is still a 1hr shift between real time and what is recording on my site.

emailaccount06 logged out at 10:47pm MST(22:47) and in the CB User Manager it is indicating that emailaccount06 logged out at 9:47pm MST (21:47).

Why is this happening?

12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #197701 by mothersofboys
bumping...

another udpate...

Mailer is 5 hrs behind my real time of -7:00GMT (Mountain Standard Time). I sent a Mailer at 4-14-2012 at 12:21am MST.

Mailer is showing it happened on 4-13-2012 at 07:21PM MST.

The email was received in my test account at 4-14-2012 at 12:21am MST.

Why is Mailer 5 hours behind?

LG

12 years 1 month ago #197717 by beat
We are aware of this thread, but were not aware of this issue yet. Thanks for reporting.

- In your joomla configuration.php, what is the value of offset ?
- What is the server time compared to your local time ? or its timezone ?

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

12 years 1 month ago #197726 by mothersofboys
value of offset is -7

server/host is on East Coast United States - so Eastern Standard Time, which is 2 hrs ahead of me in Mountain Standard Time. They are in Burlington, Massachusetts. THe server host tells me "the default time zone is set for Boston"

So if it is 8am where I am, it's 10am where my server is.

I have the ability to set a time zone in a php.ini file...

[Date]
; Defines the default timezone used by the date functions
;date.timezone = "America/Denver"

Perhaps this will fix the issue?

Your thoughts?

12 years 1 month ago #197758 by beat
I do believe it's a timezone issue. Worth checking.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn