CB invites question

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #212232 by moomola
CB invites question was created by moomola
Hello,

I have tested cb invites : great plugin that I plan to
use in certain situations.

Here are some issues I found using it : any help ?

EDIT NOTE 1 : BUG ? the "limit" parameter that indicates the number of invites each individual user is limited to have active at any given time dosen't work for me. I have configured this to '1' but any user (even not a moderator) can still send as much invitations as he wants.

EDIT NOTE 2 : I see in the code that there is "a resend invites" button available.
I have'nt found how to configure the plugin in the backend to ask for this button to be displayed nor have I been able to make it work (when I hack to force the display, I get this error message : "Invite resend not applicable at this time." ) This fonction would be useful to me : is it available and if yes how ?

EDIT NOTE 3 : Administrator, can't see other's invite tab in profiles ? Why ? see attachements :
attachement 1 : invite tab config
attachement 2 : admin consult a user profile
attachement 3 : user consult his own profile

NOTE 4 : I need a way to hide the "subject" and "Body" fields for
members when they invite someone since I don't want them to have
the possibility to change the "generic" invitation message that
I have configured in the backend. Is there any other way to do
that than hacking the files :
plug_cbinvites/templates/default/invite_edit.php and tab.php

That would be great if the option was available in the backend.

Thanks for any help,

---
Olivier
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

11 years 5 months ago #212329 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB invites question
CB version? CB Invites version? Please ensure you're up to date; latest CB Invites is 2.0.5.

EDIT NOTE 1 : BUG ? the "limit" parameter that indicates the number of invites each individual user is limited to have active at any given time dosen't work for me. I have configured this to '1' but any user (even not a moderator) can still send as much invitations as he wants.

This shouldn't be the case. Once version is confirmed I'll review source and see if a bug is present.

EDIT NOTE 2 : I see in the code that there is "a resend invites" button available.
I have'nt found how to configure the plugin in the backend to ask for this button to be displayed nor have I been able to make it work (when I hack to force the display, I get this error message : "Invite resend not applicable at this time." ) This fonction would be useful to me : is it available and if yes how ?

It only allows resend after a few days of non-accept of an invite. You can set the days limit within CB Invites > Config > Invites > General and adjust "Resend" as needed.

EDIT NOTE 3 : Administrator, can't see other's invite tab in profiles ? Why ? see attachements :

It's not coded to display to moderators. Same reason you can't see a users GJ invites. It serves no purpose. If you need to moderate an invite then do so from backend.

NOTE 4 : I need a way to hide the "subject" and "Body" fields for
members when they invite someone since I don't want them to have
the possibility to change the "generic" invitation message that
I have configured in the backend. Is there any other way to do
that than hacking the files :

Simply edit the template. It's not a hack to edit the template files. Copy the default folder, rename it, then select it from backend, now edit it however you feel necessary.

No, that defeats the purpose of the plugin. It's a marketing tool from a users perspective. Having zero interaction aside from providing an email address makes it a spam bot, not something I condone, sorry.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 5 months ago #212342 by moomola
Replied by moomola on topic Re: CB invites question
Hi krileon

krileon wrote: CB version? CB Invites version? Please ensure you're up to date; latest CB Invites is 2.0.5.

I use 2.0.5

This shouldn't be the case. Once version is confirmed I'll review source and see if a bug is present.

I just double checked to be sure, and I confirm the behaviour : in
my case the "limit" parameter (that I fixed to '1') doesn't seem to
be taken into account (I posted 3 invites without any problem).

It only allows resend after a few days of non-accept of an
invite. You can set the days limit within CB Invites > Config > Invites > General and adjust "Resend" as needed.

Ok, I see: I'll test that then.

It's not coded to display to moderators. Same reason you can't see a users GJ invites. It serves no purpose. If you need to moderate an invite then do so from backend.

That would be very usefull in my case : I organise meetings, and
my members have the possibility to invite one friend to come with
them to these meetings. To facilitate the "guests" registration
process, I planed to ask the members to invite their guest using
cb invites (and declare that they come with someone in their cb
profile).

If I could see my users invites (weither empty or not), I could
immediately check if invitations were sent or not and take appropriate
mesure to contact the guests if not (I could for example invite
him myself, ask if he has well received the invitation form if
I don't see response and so on).

Outside of this specific real need, and since invites are sent
through my web site, I would not feel unfair to be able to check
who is doing.

No, that defeats the purpose of the plugin. It's a marketing tool from a users perspective. Having zero interaction aside from providing an email address makes it a spam bot, not something I condone, sorry.

Ok, I understand your position.

However, if I may : a tool is not "by itself" a spam bot if you don't use it a
such. In my situation the goal would be to send to guests formatted invitations
to the meetings.

Additional note :

Note that I have'nt been able to make the "Attachements" work.

I have declared a file url in the "Attachements" field in the backend,
and I if have added [my_field] tag in the invitation mail and I get
simply this :

"
myfile : [cb_myfile]
"

in the received mail without any joined attachement.

Just to be clear : thanks for this great tool again. My goal
here is only to try to help you to improve it.

11 years 5 months ago #212368 by krileon

I use 2.0.5

Ok, have created below bug ticket to investigate for next release.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/3731

I just double checked to be sure, and I confirm the behaviour : in
my case the "limit" parameter (that I fixed to '1') doesn't seem to
be taken into account (I posted 3 invites without any problem).

It only works for non-moderators. You need to login as a standard registered user and confirm if issue is still present. Please note it only counts Pending invites. Invites already accepted do not count towards the limit.

That would be very usefull in my case : I organise meetings, and
my members have the possibility to invite one friend to come with
them to these meetings. To facilitate the "guests" registration
process, I planed to ask the members to invite their guest using
cb invites (and declare that they come with someone in their cb
profile).

If I could see my users invites (weither empty or not), I could
immediately check if invitations were sent or not and take appropriate
mesure to contact the guests if not (I could for example invite
him myself, ask if he has well received the invitation form if
I don't see response and so on).

Outside of this specific real need, and since invites are sent
through my web site, I would not feel unfair to be able to check
who is doing.

You'll need to edit the plugin and extend the IF check to see if user is a moderator instead of just themselves. Sorry, no plans to implement this.

In my situation the goal would be to send to guests formatted invitations
to the meetings.

That's part of the problem. You're using a plugin for a purpose it's not intended to fulfill and are wanting features it doesn't or shouldn't have; it was designed purely with the intentions of a user inviting another to join the site. You'll need to make whatever changes you feel necessary to fit your needs.

Note that I have'nt been able to make the "Attachements" work.

It needs to be a live (or maybe absolute, I forget which) URL to a file. Example as follows.

example.com/files/package.zip

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #212424 by moomola
Replied by moomola on topic Re: CB invites question

(I posted 3 invites without any problem).
It only works for
non-moderators. You need to login as a standard registered user and
confirm if issue is still present. Please note it only counts Pending
invites. Invites already accepted do not count towards the limit.

I suspect "non-moderator" means "not-administrator".

Yes I confirm the testing situation : "standard" user with no
specific rights, 3 pending request (the limit was fixed to 1).

You'll need to edit the plugin and extend the IF check to see
if user is a moderator instead of just themselves. Sorry, no plans to
implement this.

Ok, I understand.

You're using a plugin for a purpose it's not intended to fulfill

True, on the other hand without new needs, no developpments :cheer:

It needs to be a live (or maybe absolute, I forget which) URL
to a file. Example as follows. example.com/files/package.zip

I have tested whith :

- a PATH to a file written like this:
/path/to/file
- a URL to a file written like this:
http://mysite.net/path/to/file
- a URL to a file written like this:
mysite.net/path/to/file

and I get the same behavior in the received mail :

"
myfile : [cb_myfile]
"

I also tested [invite_attachments], just in case, and it didn't work neither.

Is the tag to use in the mail really [cb_myfile] ?

11 years 5 months ago #212430 by krileon

Yes I confirm the testing situation : "standard" user with no
specific rights, 3 pending request (the limit was fixed to 1).

Ok, thank you; will review and fix for next release (sometime this week).

I also tested [invite_attachments], just in case, and it didn't work neither.

Is the tag to use in the mail really [cb_myfile] ?

You don't substitute it in. It should just be attached to the email (try inviting one of your other email accounts to test).

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds