Renaming State and ZipCode...

10 years 9 months ago #231247 by PhoenixUK
Replied by PhoenixUK on topic Renaming State and ZipCode...
This issue is now fixed, I've taken "County" off required and now the CB Mood feature posts to just below a members avatar, awesome feature cheers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #231638 by PhoenixUK
Replied by PhoenixUK on topic Renaming State and ZipCode...
Maybe it's not as solved as I thought.

When I or a member attempts to fill out the Postcode *used to be named zipcode* but as it's a UK based site, that's why we changed it.

Anyway, if you put in the post code field box "np223hz" or "np22 3hz" which is how UK post codes are, we get the following errors;

Post Code : Not an integer

Now as I want to in the near future try and sort out a kind of searchable feature so members can find their nearest fellow members, as I was speaking with you about in another topic, you replied kindly with this thought;

Best I can suggest ATM is to implement an Integer field for them to supply zipcode then use Simple Any or Advanced searching mode for your userlist. This will allow them to search between 2 integer values as often zipcodes are incremented so it should help in finding other users near them. The easiest approach is to simply have a Country, Sate, City field usage for them to search for users in their city, etc..

Which now brings me back to the top of this specific post, I have my Post Code field currently set as integer but it seems the UK post code format of letters and numbers isn't accepted in this way but I need integer to implement as per your quoted idea / thought above?

Hence the current headache and no matter how much I'm reading through documentation, use cases, other forum topics etc I'm still having no luck nailing down the way around both of the above issues.

In America for e.g. zipcodes are 555324 I think aren't they? So just numeric and no doubt suit integer much better?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts please Kyle.

Regards,
Rob

10 years 8 months ago #231663 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Renaming State and ZipCode...

Which now brings me back to the top of this specific post, I have my Post Code field currently set as integer but it seems the UK post code format of letters and numbers isn't accepted in this way but I need integer to implement as per your quoted idea / thought above?

Unfortunately I've nothing more to suggest except develop a new fieldtype plugin that provides radius searching. For such a thing you'd need a database of basically every postcode or for it to use Google API (can be slow and API call rate limited) to check against to see what postcodes are in a radius around the user. It maybe better to have a 3rd party extension that already has radius searching provide that feature for you (there's a few Google Maps based ones on JED). There's no possible way to compare between 2 values that contain strings.

In America for e.g. zipcodes are 555324 I think aren't they? So just numeric and no doubt suit integer much better?

Yes, ours are strictly integers.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn