[SOLVED] how to manage seo meta tags easily ?

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 1 month ago #260574 by joomlalala
Hello,
I take a subscription CB, but I question about it ?
I migrate one of my sites (from sobi to CB) so I need to keep some features and my seo setting (and my wish was to add more of them).
I do not understand why CB 2 does not manage meta descriptions and meta keywords simply, is't it the minimum for seo today to have single meta description ?
I need also to manage meta keys for display relations items Module...
I tried the plugin "cb auto actions", as explained in a forum topic about the same question, but I can't exploit it because my keywords are based on a MultiCheckbox field with values and labels.
So, If I wanted to the first 5 words from a description field to generate my meta description,how I could do with the triggers code ?
I use sh404sef, it can handle title and description but not keywords. Even if it did, it would be really tedious having to go through sh404SEF for each site registration. I can not ask this to my client.
Is it possible to hope to have a plugin for that, accessible from a table in the administration panel for example ? as it works easily in sobipro or others extensions ?
Thanks.
Christine
Joomla 3.4.0
CB 2.0.7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 2 months ago #260595 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic how to manage seo meta tags easily ?
CB Auto Actions and its Code action can add meta header data to any trigger you want. Specifically you should use display triggers as triggers fired during PHP of course won't output headers. We don't manage meta data, because there are already tools available to do that. The Joomla menu item meta parameters work with CBs URLs now in addition to CB Auto Actions.

I tried the plugin "cb auto actions", as explained in a forum topic about the same question, but I can't exploit it because my keywords are based on a MultiCheckbox field with values and labels.

I don't see why you can't condition off a multicheckbox. You need to use a Contains operator and not an Equal To operator is the only difference. The reason for this is a multiselect stores as VALUE1|*|VALUE2|*|VALUE3 so Equal to VALUE1 in this case would fail. The Contains operator uses wildcards so it can do partial matches.

So, If I wanted to the first 5 words from a description field to generate my meta description,how I could do with the triggers code ?

Substitute in the field then cut it short using a parse function. To do this you first need to enable Format Functions under Parameters while editing your action. Example as follows.

[cb:parse function="extract" start="0" length="5"][cb_metadescription][/cb:parse]

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #260725 by joomlalala
Replied by joomlalala on topic how to manage seo meta tags easily ?
Thank you very much for your reply.

Unfortunately, I try my best, I can't do it, maybe I don't have enough technical knowledge about this...Video tutorials are fine but insufficient to extrapolate my case.Is there another & complete tutorial somewhere ?

For the meta description, it works fine for a text field type but when I want to use a textarea field, the page does not load, with "Connection was reset".I did not understand where to find more information about it.
Here is my Action with method "Header" & format functions ON

<meta name="description" content= [cb:parse function="extract" start="0" length="30"]"[cb_description][/cb:parse]"/>

If I wanted to use an Editor Text Area as description (this is the reality of my need), so I have to remove the html tags too...I'm lost.
How are others CB'users doing about meta description ?

Likewise,I do not know how to remove the initial meta description and meta keys because now there are two.

For the meta keys, probably, my question was not enough specific. I don't want to use condition on the multicheckbox. The field is a querymulticheckbox "VALUE1|*|VALUE2|*|VALUE3" and I want to put the label column in my meta keywords

<meta name="keywords" content="LABEL1,LABEL2,LABEL3" />

Query is

SELECT `id`, `title` FROM `jft_categories` WHERE `parent_id`='59' and published = '1'

with value=id, label=title

sorry but I have no idea how to do.. :(

thanks a lot
Bests Regards
Christine

9 years 2 months ago #260760 by krileon

Unfortunately, I try my best, I can't do it, maybe I don't have enough technical knowledge about this...Video tutorials are fine but insufficient to extrapolate my case.Is there another & complete tutorial somewhere ?

There's no tutorial for your specific case. CB Auto Actions is just a tool. Tutorials to cover all of its cases would be infinite. Nick only overs the most common cases to get started.

For the meta description, it works fine for a text field type but when I want to use a textarea field, the page does not load, with "Connection was reset".I did not understand where to find more information about it.
Here is my Action with method "Header" & format functions ON

You need to provide screenshots of your action configuration. Something appears misconfigured. Ensure you're using latest CB Auto Actions 6.2.2 nightly build found below.

www.joomlapolis.com/downloads/doc_details/669-cb-auto-actions-nightly-release

You also need to ensure format functions have been enabled under Parameters tab of your action otherwise they only parse for conditions.

Likewise,I do not know how to remove the initial meta description and meta keys because now there are two.

The initial meta is added by Joomla. Believe you need to shut that off in Joomla global configuration.

For the meta keys, probably, my question was not enough specific. I don't want to use condition on the multicheckbox. The field is a querymulticheckbox "VALUE1|*|VALUE2|*|VALUE3" and I want to put the label column in my meta keywords

[FIELD_NAME] substitutions are always raw values. Sounds like you need the formatted values, which you can grab with the below.

[cb:userfield field="FIELD_NAME" /]

See the tutorial below for further substitution usage information.

www.joomlapolis.com/support/tutorials/107-use-cases/18353-using-substitutions-throughout-cb

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #260816 by joomlalala
Replied by joomlalala on topic how to manage seo meta tags easily ?
Thank you very much for your reply.
I use the last version CB Auto Actions 6.2.2.

About the use of a parse function extract ( for meta description) :
After some tests, it seems that it not the field type but the length of my textarea field which generates a problem : Above approximately 250 characters a "Connection Was Reset" appears & below 250 this is ok.
Format functions is of course enabled.
Is it talking about ? could it depend on my configuration ?

The initial meta is added by Joomla. Believe you need to shut that off in Joomla global configuration.

ok I never realized that when meta was empty, it was not displayed. :whistle:

Sounds like you need the formatted values, which you can grab with the below [cb:userfield field="FIELD_NAME" /]

Yes ! that'is the good way, it work fine now. Sorry, I did not have a good understanding of this tutorial using substitutions. (French and blonde :silly: )

Bests Regards
Christine

9 years 2 months ago #260835 by krileon

After some tests, it seems that it not the field type but the length of my textarea field which generates a problem : Above approximately 250 characters a "Connection Was Reset" appears & below 250 this is ok.
Format functions is of course enabled.
Is it talking about ? could it depend on my configuration ?

That shouldn't be an issue. The format function is basically just doing a substr PHP call on the string to cut it to the length specified. The page source you provided in a previous reply though implies the format function never executed, which typically means format functions are not enabled for the action. Please provide the exact Code you've supplied to output to the header and will try to duplicate to see if there could be a bug.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn