SMTP mail not working

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #301442 by 4Summit
SMTP mail not working was created by 4Summit
Hello I was able to send registration and invite mails before (gmail). However after i upgraded to Joomla 3.8, this stopping working and getting this error.

OpenSSL Error messages:
error:14090086:SSL routines:ssl3_get_server_certificate:certificate verify
failed

Note that i am able to send test email through Joomla directly from Global config. is there a new CB package that i should be using for Joomla 3.8 version?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #301458 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic SMTP mail not working
This shouldn't be affecting GMail. Are you sure you've properly configured Joomla for GMail SMTP? Your settings should be as follows.

SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 465
SMTP Security: SSL/TLS
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP Username: (your gmail username)
SMTP Password: (your gmail password)

Note you can also use the below.

SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Security: STARTTLS

Sometimes you need to append the port to the host like the following.

SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com:465

You need to also be sure the following is set correctly or you may be blocked by GMail or hit spam filters.

From Email: (your gmail email address)

As for why this happens it's typically due to the SSL certificate being used by the SMTP server is invalid (out of date) or the host name in Joomla doesn't match the host of the certificate. See the below topic regarding this.

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/146-general/236333-no-send-registration-email-with-smtp#292706

This typically happens when an SMTP server responds that TLS is available, but it really isn't since their certificate isn't valid. This is called Opportunistic TLS. Joomla workaround this by attempting to send an insecure email if the secured email fails when Auto TLS is enabled.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 months ago #301526 by 4Summit
Replied by 4Summit on topic SMTP mail not working
Hello Kyle,
My smtp settings are the following. This is in development, so not using any SSL certificate. My gmail account is configured to integarte with less secure apps.

SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Security: STARTTLS
SMTP Authentication: Yes
SMTP Username: (your gmail username)
SMTP Password: (your gmail password)

Using this i was able to send emails before, but not after the Joomla 3.8 update. The joomla send test email was also failing, but worked after i made the following changes to Mail.php, based on a recommendaton in github. I am wondering if there is a new cb component for Joomla 3.8 version that i need to update to get CB emails to work.

$this->SMTPOptions = array(
'ssl' => array(
'verify_peer' => false,
'verify_peer_name' => false,
'allow_self_signed' => true
)
);

6 years 2 months ago #301543 by krileon

Using this i was able to send emails before, but not after the Joomla 3.8 update. The joomla send test email was also failing, but worked after i made the following changes to Mail.php, based on a recommendaton in github. I am wondering if there is a new cb component for Joomla 3.8 version that i need to update to get CB emails to work.

You just disabled the entire point of SSL. Do not turn off verify_peer. Doing so is a security vulnerability. GMail works perfectly fine with SSL. Try using the below settings.

You may need to add the port to the host as follows.

If that doesn't fix it then the root certificate on your server is likely out of date and you will need to contact your host to have them update their root certificate. It could also be a very out of date OpenSSL PHP extension, but that seams unlikely.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

6 years 2 months ago #301588 by 4Summit
Replied by 4Summit on topic SMTP mail not working
Hello Kyle,
I am testing this in my local laptop - WAMP server (do not have any certificates). my OpenSSL versions are
OpenSSL Library Version OpenSSL 1.0.2h 3 May 2016
OpenSSL Header Version OpenSSL 1.0.2h 3 May 2016

I tried your suggestions, i still get the email "Invite failed to send! Error: Mailer failed to send." Any other thoughts?

6 years 2 months ago #301598 by krileon
Localhost have root certificates, which just come from your OS. Is your computer it self up to date? Aside from that there's nothing more I can suggest; we can't really help with localhost debugging, sorry. You may want to try updating Wampserver to version 3.x as latest comes with OpenSSL/1.1.0g 2 Nov 2017.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn