Idea for CB Activity Feature: Put in a module into 3rd position of activity stre

4 years 5 months ago #314999 by timstohr
Hi Kyle,
As you know, I am currently building my stream into a followingonly stream. One of the problems I have is getting people to join the groups as they are only browsing the main newsfeed. What I thought would be cool would be to have the possibility to include a third party module into the activity stream using {loadmodule} feature of Joomla or any of the various other plugins (Modules anywhere etc).

Here is how I had imagined it: Activity module has a settings which allows you to include a blank activity into a position on the stream (eg 3 and 6). The user can, if he wants to, put in a {loadmodule} that would then be displayed there (please exclude the HIDE possibility :D)

I wanted to put there the groupjive module so that people can randomly follow other groups OR I could also imagine putting an advertising module in there.

I think that would be an amazing addition to the activitiy stream (especially for mobiles)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #315008 by krileon
Sponsored activity posts are a planned feature. You'd basically configure a couple sponsored activity posts and they'd randomly be injected into feeds at configured intervals with conditions so you can be more specific as to who sees the sponsored activity posts. For now the best I can suggest is just display the module you're wanting on the page it self in a normal Joomla module position.

Aside from that if you really want it inside of a post enable the "Prepare Content" parser which will allow Joomla content plugins in their content, but that applies to everyone and I don't recommend allowing regular users to do that.

I think a Random Groups mode for the CB GroupJive module would help with this so it could randomly show groups the user could then take a look at. That should at least be a temporary solution until sponsored activity is eventually implemented.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/7748

Pretty simple implementation so should be released today.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

4 years 5 months ago #315009 by timstohr
Hi that goes already a long way if you can show the groups in random order.
I had mostly asked the question with reference to mobiles where it is next to impossible to display two modules (one of which is an activity stream, one which is Groupjive modules) next to each other.
Since stream is "endless" you cannot put them one below the other either, so the only way really is to have it scrolling sideways inside the stream. It is different than the advertising feature you are talking about and would go a long way to already implement something.

4 years 5 months ago #315011 by krileon
Only other solution would be to make a new template of CB Activity where you inject a module into its display code. Aside from that I guess you could display a random group above the stream, but that's not completely ideal either. With that said sponsored posts are coming in a future release though, but I've no idea when at this time. As for the GJ module I've already implemented Random Categories and Random Groups available in latest build released today if you want to try using that in a module position somewhere.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn