[SOLVED] Joomla 4: Cannot "Update User Profile"

2 years 3 days ago - 2 years 1 day ago #329390 by HCAA
Testing Joomla 4 on a XAMPP installation offline. Everything seems to work with two exceptions (I'll cover the second issue in another post later, if I can't get it fixed): when a SuperUser (or Moderator) logs in and tries to edit another user's profile by clicking on "Update User Profile", it always goes to the profile of the person that is logged in. In other words, no one can edit anyone's profile other than their own.

I've done the conversion to Joomla 4 many times on the development server until it goes very smoothly using Akeeba Backup (disabling or uninstalling incompatible extensions, dropping the database and recreating/restoring); however, this issue has recurred from the beginning with the earliest Joomla 4 stable release and continues to the present on Joomla 4.1.2. No permissions or any other such changes have been made.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you login credentials on the offline server. Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2 years 2 days ago #329399 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Joomla 4: Cannot "Update User Profile"
Seams to be working fine in my tests. Ensure "Moderators View Access Level" and "Allow Moderators to Edit User Profiles" within CB > Configuration > Moderation is set correctly. Your user needs moderator permissions and also needs permissions to edit users profiles.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 2 days ago #329408 by HCAA
Replied by HCAA on topic Joomla 4: Cannot "Update User Profile"
"Moderators View Access Level" was set to Special, with Special defined as Moderators, Administrators, Publishers, and Super Users. "Allow Moderators to Edit User Profiles" was set to Moderators and Super Administrators.

Since that didn't work, I changed the "View Access Level" to Super Users and "Allow Moderators to Edit Profiles" to Super Administrators Only. That didn't change anything. A Super User still can't edit someone else's profile.

One strange thing: when I click on Update User Profile in a User's profile, the URL displayed in the address line is the correct one for that user's profile; however, the profile displayed is the one of the person that is logged in, and the browser title for the page (and on the page itself) is "Edit Your Details" instead of "Edit <user's> Details". In addition, the warning at the top that is supposed to say "WARNING: This is not your profile. As a Moderator you are editing the profile of user: <username>" is not displayed.

To backtrack: I took a properly operating website (where Super Users and Moderators could edit anyone's profile) under Joomla 3.10.8 and upgraded that to Joomla 4.1.2 with no changes to CB. With that upgrade, the ability to edit other user's profiles, other than the person that is logged in, is no longer is allowed.

Sure hope you have some more ideas on what can be wrong. Thanks.

2 years 2 days ago #329410 by krileon
Ok, it sounds like it's working fine. Sounds like what is happening is your browser is autofilling form fields. Something like LastPass will do this and replace Username/Password. Is that the issue you're seeing? Some fields being set to your own profile?

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

2 years 2 days ago #329413 by HCAA
Replied by HCAA on topic Joomla 4: Cannot "Update User Profile"
No, I don't believe we can say that there is autofill of form fields. The reason is that the page title is "Edit Your Details" indicating that the browser page being displayed is being intentionally created from the logged in user's profile. And the WARNING is not there, as well. So, the browser doesn't think it's on the page that matches the URL with form fields filled in automatically; it thinks it's on the profile of the logged in user (Super User).

When we just view a user's profile, the URL is displayed as: .../artist-profiles/###-<username> (we have a main menu item called "artist-profiles"). [### represents user ID]

When we click on Update User Profile, the URL is displayed as: .../cb-profile-edit/userdetails/###-<username>, but the profile being displayed is that of the logged in Super User, not the correct one that corresponds to the ID and username. And it is titled "Edit Your Details".

If we go to our own profile intentionally while logged in, the URL is displayed as: .../cb-profile-edit/userdetails (without any further identifying information like ID or username). The page is titled "Edit Your Details".

The only other thing of note is that, on the Joomla 3 live site, we do use an Extension called ProfileURL, which provides a shorter URL for profiles (such as <site>/<username of choice>). That Extension has not been updated to Joomla 4 compatibility so, at present, our Joomla 4 test installation has that Extension (all 5 elements) all disabled.

2 years 2 days ago #329414 by krileon
Turn off SEO and see if issue persists. It might be a URL rewrite issue.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn