Add a user to a specific user group based on field selection

1 year 4 months ago #331729 by ialearn

Basically the way it works currently is on their profile page we give them a single option drop down, with "Company A, Company B and Company C" as option if they select Company A they are added to Company A's user group when they save their profile, and so on

Ok, that's done easily enough with CB Auto Actions. If you choose to go with CB Auto Actions more can be explained on how to set this up. Feel free to give it a try on our demo site as well as we provide backend and frontend demo access.

Please could you explain how to get this to work using Auto actions, I must admit I believe that Community Builder is most likely a powerful tool, but at the moment it brings me no joy as every step that was needed in EasyProfile to set something up needs multiple steps in CB to achieve the same thing and at the moment I will need to see if CB is even capable of doing what I need.

Please could you let me know if you can send me info on all the pre-sales questions I had www.joomlapolis.com/forum/presales/245004-add-to-user-group-based-on-profile-field or do I need to create a new post for each one.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

1 year 4 months ago #331731 by ialearn

Please could you explain how to get this to work using Auto actions,

I managed to figure out how to add a user to group A when they select Company A from a field, next question if they change the field selection from Company A to Company B, how do I get them added to Group B and removed from group A, can I set Auto Actions to "do inverse if check field value returns false".
I hope there is a simple solution, since I need to implement this on over 400 possible options on this "Company Name" field.

1 year 4 months ago #331746 by krileon

I managed to figure out how to add a user to group A when they select Company A from a field, next question if they change the field selection from Company A to Company B, how do I get them added to Group B and removed from group A, can I set Auto Actions to "do inverse if check field value returns false".

You can configure your usergroup action to replace usergroups instead of add/remove so you can replace it with Registered + CUSTOM_USERGROUP. That would remove all other usergroups.

I hope there is a simple solution, since I need to implement this on over 400 possible options on this "Company Name" field.

Does this imply you're going to have over 400 usergroups? I do not recommend doing it this way if that's the case. Joomla ACL is loaded everywhere. It should be as minimal as possible. My recommendation is no more than around 30 usergroups. Do you absolutely need these to be usergroups?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn