Update

3 years 11 months ago #318409 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Update
This has now been improved even more. We've renamed "Plugin Version Checking" parameter to "Plugin Version and Build Release Checking" so it's more clear. You will also be able actually select the version checking interval as shown below.

This should hopefully cover everyone's needs and let you set your own update schedule. Note the new parameter is basically just giving control over the versions XML file cache duration so clearing Joomla cache for example is a means of manually resetting the interval if needed. It is defaulted to every 12 hours (twice daily) as is currently hardcoded into CB.

This will all be available once we're ready to release the site key implementation. So for now your best option is to simply turn off "Plugin Version Checking".

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #318458 by joomlapolis2016_mm
Replied by joomlapolis2016_mm on topic Update
Kyle,

thank you for your explanation. I just would like to clarify that I welcome your attempts to keep the user installations up-to-date.

What has been the annoying part for me was the fact that - out of a sudden - those "new version" availability messages appeared in the control center where not every user was able to work with them.

In addition, It seemed that you switched the way how to fetch an update what also caused some confusion. I was used to check for available extension updates and have a one-click install. Now it seemed that this distribution way switched to being forced to use a Joomlapolis account each and every time I see the update available note.

So for me it is a working solution to disable the Plugin Version Checking and visit the extensions update page regularly.

3 years 11 months ago #318466 by krileon

What has been the annoying part for me was the fact that - out of a sudden - those "new version" availability messages appeared in the control center where not every user was able to work with them.

So it's displaying even if the user doesn't have permission to install updates? Will review and add a permissions check if that's indeed missing.

In addition, It seemed that you switched the way how to fetch an update what also caused some confusion. I was used to check for available extension updates and have a one-click install. Now it seemed that this distribution way switched to being forced to use a Joomlapolis account each and every time I see the update available note.

If Joomla version checker could handle metadata we wouldn't need to send you to Install from Web. We're however working on a solution with Site Keys. You'd generate a Site Key from your Joomlapolis account and configure it in your install and from then on Install from Web will automatically know who you are based off the Site Key without needing to visit Joomlapolis. We're also implementing support for CORS request with JSONP fallback in hopes that the unreliable nature of JSONP will stop this from breaking so often when a Site Key isn't used.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

3 years 11 months ago #318470 by JabbaHut
Replied by JabbaHut on topic Update

krileon wrote:

It is quite annoying to be welcomed by this announcements everyday I log in.

I'm shocked you're annoyed by receiving updates that fix bugs and add features.

It's not receiving updates that is annoying, it's NOT receiving them because the button on the warning banner is BROKEN. If the system doesn't allow you to publish the build versions properly for whatever reason, increase the minor version instead, or anything that is working, and by working I mean anything that is not a pain for the user.

3 years 11 months ago #318495 by krileon

It's not receiving updates that is annoying, it's NOT receiving them because the button on the warning banner is BROKEN. If the system doesn't allow you to publish the build versions properly for whatever reason, increase the minor version instead, or anything that is working, and by working I mean anything that is not a pain for the user.

The button should take you to Install from Web where you should be able to update. This has only recently started to fail due to browser security changes starting to clamp down on JSONP calls, which we're working to replace with CORS calls in addition to Site Keys. This issue also does not impact everyone. We're also working to fix the issue as I've already explained in this topic. I don't know what more to say on this matter.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

3 years 8 months ago #320094 by JabbaHut
Replied by JabbaHut on topic Update
New update shenanigans:

You do not appear to be logged into www.joomlapolis.com/. This will cause Install from Web to treat you as a guest.

So what? I shouldn't have to in the first place.

Ensure you are logged in at www.joomlapolis.com/ and check browser settings to ensure 3rd party cookies are not blocked

Certainly not! I won't weaken my browser settings to update a hecking plugin.

or consider generating a Site Key from your Joomlapolis profile and save it to your Community Builder configuration. Once you have logged in or set your Site Key

Seriously?! why not make me press up up down down left right left right b a and call Bettlejuice three times while you're at it.

One click update is possible. Others can do it. I'm sure you can too. Why you don't want to is beyond my comprehension.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds