Error on Profile-Update

15 years 4 months ago #83050 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
Try this:

1. Back up corrupted database
2. Export the good table that differs from the bad table in your new database
3. Delete the same table in the bad database
4. Import the good table from the old database to your new one.
5. Run all tools

That should take care of the problem. B)

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 4 months ago #83053 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
verloren wrote:

I have a MySQL-Dump from a Joomla(Mambo, whatever)-Installation from 2005. This installation worked fine until now. I can't tell you exactly what i did, but i first compared the database-content from the old dump with my empty-brand-new-installation. Then i renamed a few INSERT-commands in my dump and i imported it. Now i habe all 140 user in the new installation. All user have their own profile-picture. They all can log in, write Private Messages, they can use the installed Phoca-Gallery. Everything works fine......

Hi, so you imported a Mambo 4.5.x or J! 1.0.x DB without running migration tools? If yes you may want to set up a J! 1.0.x installation and run de migration script, upgrade to J! 1.5.x and install CB again.

greets

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

15 years 4 months ago #83057 by verloren
Replied by verloren on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
Hi Rapunzl,

Try this:

no, i don't think that will work....believe me, i really checked ALL (i hope i did... ;) ) and your way is what i did a few days ago...

Hi ndee,

Hi, so you imported a Mambo 4.5.x or J! 1.0.x DB without running migration tools? If yes you may want to set up a J! 1.0.x installation and run de migration script, upgrade to J! 1.5.x and install CB again.

I downloaded the migration-tool and created the migration-sql-dump. Then i opened it and compared the file with my actual database.....the user-tables are identical. In the migration-sql-dump is the SHORT password! So i don't need to import the migration-file because of identical data....

Thank you all for your help, but the problem is still there.
Now i changed the password from a user to a new testpassword. There's now the long password in the db-table ('value1:value2') and now i can change the profile. So i can say, that it's definitely 'only' the password-field in all old jos_users-entries.

Does somebody know how J1.5 handles the 'new' passwords and how J1.0.x handled it? Perhaps there's a way to convert the two different formats.

Thnx again.

15 years 4 months ago #83059 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
Passwords are a bit of a pain in J1.5 and latest J1.0.

The password is turned into a hash. Then a salt is added to the end. Then they're MD5ed.

The :blablabla at the end of a password is the salt. Basically you've taken 1 format of passwords and added to a system that uses a different format of passwords.

I honestly have no resolution for this other then somehow regenerating everyone's passwords using Joomlas new password method. The migration tool should be able to do this, but I don't know for sure as I've never done a cross platform upgrade like this. The problem is the passwords need to be converted to plain text. Then sent through joomlas password system to create the passwords so they'll validate.

Joomla used to use just plain text converted to md5 allowing much more flexible integrations, bridges, and cross platform systems. Their new method now makes these tasks dang near impossible, but offers a substantial boost in security if the database so happened to be compromised.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

15 years 4 months ago #83060 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
verloren wrote:

Does somebody know how J1.5 handles the 'new' passwords and how J1.0.x handled it? Perhaps there's a way to convert the two different formats.

Ok, if you did the migration, why didn't you setup fresh J1.5.8 and used the migrations-sql-dump in the installation process? Maybe this would have solved your issues.

Sry, don't know how you can fix this afterwards.

Good Luck!

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

15 years 4 months ago #83066 by verloren
Replied by verloren on topic Re:Error on Profile-Update
Hi Krileon,

thank you for your information. I think i will send out a newsletter to all members and tell them something like "due to systemupgrade you need to create a new password. Please use our 'I lost my password'-tool for that....bla". I mean it seems that really everything is working except the change of Userprofiles (ohem....the login is still working....). So it's an annoying but easy and secure way to solve the problem. Side-Effect: I see dead E-Mails/User.

Ndee,

why didn't you setup fresh J1.5.8 and used the migrations-sql-dump

The (my) problem was that the old installation was a totally 'I-am-a-beginner-i-hate-my-life-i-hate-microsoft-i-am-the-best-hacker-of-the-world-i-kill-you-all'-Installation, from a person i don't want to think about. It really was a wonder that the site was still alive. So much old and not-updated parts and plugins, an invitation for all spammer and scriptkiddies. So i tried to install a brand-new and empty version without any data and then to import only the neccessary files (db-user-data) . I changed 99% of all plugins and i tried not to fall back to Legacy-Mode-1.0 .
Almost all (90%-overall) is done i only need a working HotOrNot-App, a NewestUserGallery-App and a NewestGalleryPicture-App. Couldn't find it for 1.5 but yesterday i (wuah, i tried so hard) had to activate Legacy1.0 for Fireboard-Forum. It's really important, that i can integrate a forum, so...i am in 1.0, now i can install the needed Apps even if they are for 1.0 .

But, back to topic........newsletter to all existing members and all is done.

Thank you all for your help.

Greetings

Post edited by: verloren, at: 2008/12/21 22:19

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn