Spambots beating captcha 2.2

15 years 3 months ago #84896 by ergohost
Spambots beating captcha 2.2 was created by ergohost
Hi.

I have RC4 installed along with most of the plugins.

My issue is despite the latest captcha plugin being installed I'm still getting about 5 + spambots managing to register on my site.

To my knowlege everything is installed and configured correctly. I'm not necessarily saying its CB thats in error as perhaps theres a hole or module left elsewhere in joomla to blame but I just cant see anything.

Site runs Joomla 1.5 in legacy 1.0 mode.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 3 months ago #84926 by ergohost
Replied by ergohost on topic Re:Spambots beating captcha 2.2
I thought mabye security wasnt tight enough, changed security characters to 8, changed the font to one other than the default and boosted character set to some symbols and a-z A-Z but still getting the odd registration, dont know what to check next.

15 years 3 months ago #84938 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Spambots beating captcha 2.2
ergohost wrote:

I thought mabye security wasnt tight enough, changed security characters to 8, changed the font to one other than the default and boosted character set to some symbols and a-z A-Z but still getting the odd registration, dont know what to check next.

how do you know its not a person manually doing this?

15 years 3 months ago #84939 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:Spambots beating captcha 2.2
Hi,

know your enemy. CB captcha has no font deformation or other difficulties for automatic captcha detection. So it does not protect against bots very well - 100% detection rate from PWNtcha [1].

[1] caca.zoy.org/wiki/PWNtcha

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

15 years 3 months ago #84946 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:Spambots beating captcha 2.2
ndee wrote:

Hi,

know your enemy. CB captcha has no font deformation or other difficulties for automatic captcha detection. So it does not protect against bots very well - 100% detection rate from PWNtcha [1].

[1] caca.zoy.org/wiki/PWNtcha

Nice reference.

There is no font deformation but there are parameters to add noise and background color.

Perhaps in next version we can add different backgrounds.

15 years 3 months ago #84951 by ndee
Replied by ndee on topic Re:Spambots beating captcha 2.2
Hi nant,

I already forgot that source but I recalled there was something some time ago and I found it in my link collection :) The list of captchas not pwnable by PWNtcha is gives some examples of maybe more secure captchas. But they do not look easy to implement :D

As you can see in the second part of the wiki, font transformations seem to be a good protection. The downside is that it is not that readable anymore.
What about simple math captchas? e.g. 3 + 4 = ? (also text only browsers / screenreaders may be able to read them). But these are maybe also easy breakable by bots?

@ergohost
You may want to activate the e-mail confirmation option. I use it in combination with captcha and did not have any bot registrations yet. You will see fake or mistyped registrations when the confirmation is pending for some time :)

###################
SPEED UP HELP, read first: Help us help you
###################

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn