OpenID with CB

14 years 11 months ago #99517 by mamamia
OpenID with CB was created by mamamia
Hi,
I am trying to find out if CB 1.2 supports OpenId? I have searched high and low on this forum, but there are very few references to it with even fewer concrete answers.

If it's not directly supported, then can I leverage Joomla 1.5's built-in support for it? How? Or is there a CB plugin that will allow me to use OpenID?

I'm surprised more people aren't asking for this feature.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #99664 by yvolk
Replied by yvolk on topic Re:OpenID with CB
I've just also seached the source code of CB: no 'openid' occurence :(
This means that _today_ we can't build 'openid enabled' sites with CB ... and visa versa ;)

I enabled Joomla! login and I successfully logged in with OpenID login (and myopenid.com provider...), but this created some inconsistency between new Joomla! user (who was automatically added after successful OpenID login) and CB user (as was expected)...

I'm scratching my head deciding which way to go...

14 years 11 months ago #99898 by dpk
Replied by dpk on topic Re:OpenID with CB
There is no mention of OpenID or Gmail authentication in the CB subscriber documentation either. It looks like the CB login currently replicates the ability of the core Joomla login to work with these and other enabled authentication plugins, but it is worthless to do so unless you want a lot of people to register on your site and not fill out any profile fields.

If a new user logs in with OpenID or Gmail, they bypass the whole registration process where you normally collect other information from them. You could redirect them to their profile page and give them some incentives to fill it out, but if you require certain fields to be filled out in the CB registration, these users who bypassed it will never be required to fill it out. They will have to do so if they want to update their profiles at all, but this is going to seem confusing and frustrating to them.

14 years 11 months ago #99914 by mamamia
Replied by mamamia on topic Re:OpenID with CB
Any word from the CB team on whether OpenId will be supported in the near future?

14 years 11 months ago #99917 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:OpenID with CB
mamamia wrote:

Any word from the CB team on whether OpenId will be supported in the near future?

Hm, if you run on Joomla 1.5 with CB 1.2.1, core joomla 1.5 OpenId authentication plugin could work just fine, same as gmail does.

However as mentioned above, registration will be skipped, which is nice for users.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #99931 by mamamia
Replied by mamamia on topic Re:OpenID with CB

However as mentioned above, registration will be skipped, which is nice for users.

I guess my question was referring to having best of both worlds :) That is being able to use OpenId and utilize CB 100%, including registration.

Also, in regards to Gmail authentication, is that also not inherently supported by CB? So if I wanted to turn on Gmail authentication, would I have to use the native Joomla 1.5 registration module and thus lose CB's features?

Thanks in advance.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 1.121 seconds