OpenID with CB

14 years 11 months ago #99932 by Rapunzl
Replied by Rapunzl on topic Re:OpenID with CB
Neither case requires the Joomla login, but both openid and Gmail authentication bypass registration, so the user is signed in, but is not a member of your site.

Jamie (Rapunzl)
Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read all CB Articles | Specially the FAQ | Help us help you
CB links: Subscribe to CB documentation | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/view/7363/37/
]Our templates[/url] | [url=http://www.joomlapolis.com/content/blogcategory/61/74/
]Paid Subscriptions[/url] | Get Hosting | Our Forge
Visit my CB Profile

My personal site Rapunzl's Reality always under reconstruction

Please Log in to join the conversation.

14 years 11 months ago #99938 by mamamia
Replied by mamamia on topic Re:OpenID with CB

Neither case requires the Joomla login, but both openid and Gmail authentication bypass registration, so the user is signed in, but is not a member of your site.

I can in fact enable OpenId by enabling the Joomla provided login module (mod_login). The biggest problem with this is that the "register" link generated and displayed by this module leads the user to the Joomla native registration.

What I want is to be able to use the CB login module (mod_cblogin), which has the "register" link directing the user to the CB registration form, while also having a "Use OpenId Login" link similar to the Joomla login module that switches the login mechanism to OpenId.

The idea is that users should be able to login with OpenId (or Gmail) if they don't want to register on the site. But, in the case they want to register, then the CB registration should be available.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

14 years 11 months ago #99943 by yvolk
Replied by yvolk on topic Re:OpenID with CB
Rapunzl wrote:

Yes, "authentication" with OpenID doesn't require "login", but the idea of OpenID is TO BE a user of many sites and don't bother with registration/remembering different passwords, see quote from a frontpage of the " openid.net "

With one OpenID you can login to all your favorite websites and forget about online paperwork!

In Joomla! in order to be authorized to do anything more than any anonymous human visitor/robot is allowed to do, you have:
- to be a Joomla! user;
- to log in as that user.

Default Joomla! 1.5.10 behaviour allows you this: after you typed your OpenID into the "username" field of the Joomla! Login form, it:
1. Forwards your authentication to the OpenID provider.
2. After successful authentication, it automatically creates new user with this username, if there was no such user before.
3. Logs in this User, so he or she may act as any "Classic" Joomla! user.

In this scenario current CB fails in two places:
1. It's Login form doesn't allow OpenID authentication.
2. If user was created by Joomla! core automatically, CB doesn't know this and thinks that such user is "not confirmed..." yet.

14 years 11 months ago #99953 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:OpenID with CB
yvolk wrote:

Rapunzl wrote:

Yes, "authentication" with OpenID doesn't require "login", but the idea of OpenID is TO BE a user of many sites and don't bother with registration/remembering different passwords, see quote from a frontpage of the " openid.net "

With one OpenID you can login to all your favorite websites and forget about online paperwork!

In Joomla! in order to be authorized to do anything more than any anonymous human visitor/robot is allowed to do, you have:
- to be a Joomla! user;
- to log in as that user.

Default Joomla! 1.5.10 behaviour allows you this: after you typed your OpenID into the "username" field of the Joomla! Login form, it:
1. Forwards your authentication to the OpenID provider.
2. After successful authentication, it automatically creates new user with this username, if there was no such user before.
3. Logs in this User, so he or she may act as any "Classic" Joomla! user.

In this scenario current CB fails in two places:
1. It's Login form doesn't allow OpenID authentication.
2. If user was created by Joomla! core automatically, CB doesn't know this and thinks that such user is "not confirmed..." yet.

Thanks for clarifying.
CB 1.2's login function uses joomla's login function and auto-synchronizes user data.
Guessing that this works fine with gmail, since it uses the password field too, and doesn't redirect...

Tagged for investigation.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

14 years 11 months ago #101234 by bjorn190
Replied by bjorn190 on topic Re:OpenID with CB
I would like it to work like this: (basically replacing username/password)

1. A user logins using OpenID
2. If it is the first time, the user is brought to the registration page which the user has to fill out the required fields.
3. If it is not the first time, the user is logged in normally.

This would allow registered users to not have to use username/password to log in. But they would still be able to become members of the site.

Is suck a thing possible?

I know it may violate the OpenID core beliefs, but I believe that dogmatic rules are seldom right, and should give room for adaptation to user friendliness and implementing OpenID in a partial way.

14 years 11 months ago #101238 by dpk
Replied by dpk on topic Re:OpenID with CB
Or there could be an option to bind a Joomla/CB account to other accounts during or after registration: gmail, facebook, openID...

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.286 seconds