[SOLVED] Are there any known existing attacks against CBSubs?

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #231020 by MarkRS
I have just had two (non-administrator) subscribers call to say they have received the administrator email telling them someone else has registered on the site.
They each (I think) received notifications of the two latest registrations, free accounts from bogus looking users ("bogus" because they strange addresses, ks.a.d.f.o.w.eu.o@gmail.com & s.zxa.i.j.k.o@gmail.com).

I have no indication of any break in, although I think my CBSubs (GPL) isn't working and hasn't for a few weeks, but this looks very strange.

What would be good to look for?
I've looked in the #__extensions table and there don't appear to be any strange entries.

CBSubs GPL 3.0.0, CB 1.9, Linux hosting.
horsemanshipmagazine.co.uk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #231023 by krileon
CBSubs has no known vulnerabilities and is checked regularly. What you're seeing is just typical spam registrations, which Captcha of some form can protect against. I suggest becoming a Professional subscriber and obtaining CB AntiSpam to help fight spam or at the very least Advanced subscriber for CB Captcha. Alternative is to search for free captcha solutions for CB if any.

If you don't actually have a free subscription then they registered then simply didn't pay and cancelled the basket. They however should be completely disabled (blocked) unless you didn't disable free registrations without a subscription within CBSubs > Settings > Globals.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 9 months ago #231025 by MarkRS
Hi Krileon,

No, it's not just the spam registrations. Yes, I expect those. It's the fact that notices of those registrations went to two non-administrator subscribers.

Good to know there are no known vulnerabilities though.
I'll check further on who gets notified.

10 years 9 months ago #231028 by krileon
Edit those two users within CB > User Management and ensure they're not set to receive moderator emails. It could also be the spam user simply spamming them with fake emails if you have the email form enabled and they were able to login.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 9 months ago #231045 by MarkRS
Ah! That's the thing. I misunderstood what that field was for. Now fixed. Thank you.

In fact, there were about 70 non-admins set to receive admin mail. I wonder why it's not happened before? Very strange.

Thank you again.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn