CB Subs and Joomla LMS

12 years 11 months ago #166706 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: CB Subs and Joomla LMS

Users have to enrol in a course; for paid courses access is given once payment is made via PayPal etc. Users enrol in individual courses and whilst there are groups, assignment to one does not give access to a group of courses.

I see, in this case if you change the subscription at add more courses then existing actively subscribed users will not get those courses until they renew or resubscribe.

I want to be able to add courses to a subscription whilst it is active so we need an automated way to do this and therefore a suitable SQL trigger (e.g. "Plan update"). Since this is not a current feature it would need a plug-in specifically for the LMS. Furthermore it looks like the URL protection would prevent users enrolling in single courses directly through the LMS (CB Subs would be used for groups or courses). The LMS has its own update function for subscriptions so this could be replicated within such a plug-in.

I think the best approach is to use a combination of plugins.

First you'll need a new field in CB; this is the field that will determine subscription. Ensure this field is read only and is of type text. Now you'll use CBSubs Fields to update the field value to some sort of value like 1 = Plan 1, 2 = Plan 3, etc..

Once done you'll use incubator project CB Queries to conditionally check this field and add user to courses after login. This means everytime they login your query would fire to add them to their courses. Your query would need to check if they are already in the course though.

This would ensure the user always has the appropriate courses after login. All you'd need to do is update the field you created on subscription activate and remove it on subscription deactivation. CB Queries would handle the conditional aspect by checking that field and firing the queries. It doesn't have to be after login, but can be on any CB trigger.

The LMS developers will develop one hence the request for developer documentation. However since there is none for third parties I can't see that CB Subs is going to work, which is a great shame and disappointment because it offers so much and I really thought it was going to be the answer.

Nothing they develop would solve the problem. Their CBSubs integration would still only fire one time when the users subscription activated. They need a "Group" based permission system so CBSubs can assign them just a group and that group gives them permissions to whatever courses you want. They can integrate into CBSubs using direct queries if they want to check a users subscription so that's not an issue.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 11 months ago #166720 by agouldtdc
Replied by agouldtdc on topic Re: CB Subs and Joomla LMS
Thanks very much for that explanation. I see how that approach would work but surely using the URL restriction would mean that clients who want to purchase a single course via the LMS cart would not be able to because the URL would be blocked by CB Subs? We would use CB Subs for group subscriptions (i.e. multiple courses for a given period).

For example if someone only wants to access Course A and enrols via the LMS (he does not want a group subscription handled by CB Subs) the URL to that course would be blocked by CB Subs because that course is part of a CB Subs plsn.

I might be wrong of course but if I understand the process correctly I think that this would be a problem.

Hopefully we can crack this!

12 years 11 months ago #166755 by krileon

Thanks very much for that explanation. I see how that approach would work but surely using the URL restriction would mean that clients who want to purchase a single course via the LMS cart would not be able to because the URL would be blocked by CB Subs? We would use CB Subs for group subscriptions (i.e. multiple courses for a given period).

Using URL protection instead of adding a user to a course through SQL Actions would work regardless of when they subscribed. So yes you could edit a plan, change the URL protection, and it'd affect new and old subscribers.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 11 months ago #166772 by agouldtdc
Sorry I think I have been a bit slow! So we wouldn't need to use the URL protection; that's great.

I'll try this approach and report back. Thanks for responding so quickly :)

12 years 11 months ago #166856 by krileon

agouldtdc wrote: Sorry I think I have been a bit slow! So we wouldn't need to use the URL protection; that's great.

I'll try this approach and report back. Thanks for responding so quickly :)

Well assuming LMS protects users from seeing a course they're not enrolled in then no you would not need URL protection. However, if you can allow users to view any course regardless of enrollment then URL protection maybe a better approach IF you plan to update plans over time with additional courses as SQL Actions only fires on specific CBSubs scenarios like plan activation (new subscription, renewals, etc..) wherein the URL protection is "real-time" meaning you can add to it and instantly see its effects. This really comes down to what LMS does and does not support; CBSubs can NOT create features in an extension that do not exist.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

12 years 11 months ago #166877 by agouldtdc
The LMS only allows access to the course content on enrolment. Users can view the summary page but not access the course itself without enrolling.

The problem with URL protection is that it looks to me like it will stop users who do not wish to take out a group subscription but rather purchase an individual course. This would be done via the LMS cart (or VirtueMart). Once enrolled the user would be directed to the course URL which CB Subs would then block.

I plan to implement your recommendation above i.e. create a CB field with a value for each plan (e.g. 1,2,3) then use CB Query on login to check that the member of the respective plan is enrolled (see what course are in the subscription, check if the member is enrolled and if not enrol the member). This field can then be automatically reset by CB Subs on expiration. When a new course is added this will be added to the query.

Hopefully I have understood this correctly.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn