[SOLVED] Upgrading Group Jive 2.3 to 2.4rc - Fatal Errors

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #174618 by iglew
OK done re-install from backup, checked all public, GJ pre GJ plugins. Checked and working as all GJ2.3. Upgraded GJ first then 4 plugins then module. Same as before, no errors on install. Same errors when trying to access GJ2.4 plugin. Turn off GJ wall,auto and events - GJ2.4 works. No errors reported when using tools to check.

Baffled... Debug dump follows when accessing GJ2.4 with plugins disabled.

[MOD EDIT]: query log not necessary

As we said think of anything for us to test and we'll try!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #174623 by krileon
Please create an installation in a sub-folder or sub-domain with only Joomla + CB + GJ 2.4 and confirm if issue still present. This will rule out any 3rd party extensions or configuration (do not configure ANYTHING, let the defaults remain). Once done confirm if issue still present. Please preferably do this on a domain with outside access so I may review if issue remains. If issue is NOT present on this clean install then something is probably conflicting and causing the problem. Have you reviewed server error log for any clues or fatal errors regarding GJ?

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 8 months ago #174632 by iglew
Have just tested with the Joomlarts T3 plugin disabled same result. We've been talking about how to test this. There are several options...

...clean install on barebones Joomla
...disable ALL non system plugins install GJ plugins and test, if ok then turn on plugins on by one to see what causes problem
... repeat preceding but turn off modules as well and repeat
... repeat preceding deleting components one by one

Server logs show nothing glaring but will take some time to dig through.

This testing is going to take some time to do we'll keep you posted. If you are aware of any "naughty" plugins pm them to us and we'll check if they are installed.

12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #175458 by iglew
Ok - sorry for the delay in replying but as suspected this has been time consuming to get a reliable answer (sort of) There is good news and bad news...

1) all previous tests were repeated on out test server which is identical to the dev server (same make, same model, bought delivered same time, same o/s same version of LAMPP) same fatal error

2) created vanilla joomla 1.5.23 install in sub directory on hosted production server. Vanilla install of CB 1.7 and GJ 2.4rc - no errors on install AND works with no fatal errors.

3) created vanilla joomla 1.5.23 install on dev and test servers. Vanilla install of CB 1.7 and GJ 2.4rc - both fail with fatal error

Now this is where it gets interesting...

We had been testing another component upgrade which was J1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 native this failed post install with a fatal error but which then worked when installed on production with no fatal errors.

So...

1) Did a vanilla install of J1.7 on dev and installed the other component - post install it generated a fatal error

2) Used a spare unused domain on production did vanilla install of J1.7 and installed the component which had failed on J1.7 dev - No fatal errors

We have not tested CB on this J1.7 set of environments as we wish to test very slowly and carefully.

Our initial conclusions are...

1) These issues are NOT caused by any interaction with other joomla components, modules or plugins as they happen when nothing else is installed.

2) They are not restricted to J1.5

3) They appear to relate to joomla components which are 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 native

4) They are not Joomla configuration related

5) There appears to be some item of common code in components which are 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 native which seems to be incompatible with some? versions of LAMPP or PHP settings

So the good news is that GJ 2.4 works in production BUT may give fatal errors on some (we suspect this) older production and development servers.

Krileon - if you use LAMPP to develop on would it be possible to pm use the version and we'll continue testing. Is there any new specific 1.6/1.7 coding which requires changes to php settings?

Any other thoughts and suggestions happily rec'd

Have just been reading this updated thread

www.joomlapolis.com/forum/240-potential-bugs/174239-solved-installing-24rc-error-with-cbgjdbtable?limit=6&start=6

You use WAMPP, that user was using MAMPP we use LAMPP. 2 years ago we found that there could be significant differences in the behaviour of the different flavours of XMAPP especially between WAMPP and LAMMP/MAMPP. This would help explain...
1) Why we cannot explain or replicate the errors
2) Why there seem to be no issues on production servers which should not be used with XAMPP

12 years 7 months ago #175559 by krileon
Sounds like it's your localhost server that's having the problems. I do not use WAMP, but I use XAMPP which has zero issues. As long as it works fine in production I don't see any issue. Your development server would need to be investigated as there's like something misconfigured in its setup.

XAMPP is more well maintained then the other packages. In my experience the others have been too slow in progress and don't provide 1 click install of typical live server configurations. It's entirely up to you which you use, but again always test on a LIVE server (whether a spare domain or what) as I can not and will not investigate localserver issues.. there are too many factors involved that could make things fail.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 7 months ago #175587 by iglew
Sorry XAMPP is the generic name of the webserver emulator so if you use it on a microsoft platform you download and install the WAMPP version, we run and develop on linux platforms so we download and use the LAMPP version the same applies to the mac. The point we are making is that there CAN be differences ie what works on XAMPP-WAMPP may not work on XAMPP-LAMPP but we are using XAMPP but a different flavour.

The key point is that there appears to be a change in the J1.6/1.7 codeset which dislikes XAMPP linux/mac versions but NOT the windows version. We have proven that this is NOT a CB or GJ issue as we have found exactly the same issue in another J1.6/1.7 Component.

We certainly never expect other developers to address issues on our development servers but we wish to highlight an issue that may affect other users with a similar development and testing environment. Indeed there is almost certainly no way you (CB) can address this issue as it probably lies within a core joomla library call.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.754 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn