Groupjive Access levels/Permissions and Events

12 years 6 months ago #181475 by raniko
1: Access Levels/Permissions:

I would like to disable the ability for users to choose what joomla groups have access to the groupjive groups/categories that they create AND have the cb subs plan that they are associated with dictate what users have access to groupjive categories/groups that they create. This can be done either by cb subs plan, joomla user group or access level... doesn't matter to me. An example:

CB Subs Plan 1 members would be assigned the ability to create groups that can be accessed by:

(CB Subs plan 1, 2 and 3 members)
or
(Joomla groups 1,2,3)
Or
(access level A (which would include groups 1,2,3))

Is this possible?

2) Groupjive events:

Is it possible to have the events that are posted within Groupjive groups also appear in some global event listing that all users can have access to? The goal would be to aggregate events into one easily searchable event database. By the way, I do not currently have a global events solution that I'm describing, so feel free to offer up a good one if you have a suggestion.

Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #181479 by krileon

Is this possible?

You can protect groups on a plan by plan basis using By URL Part protection and protecting the URLs. You can also edit groups and/or categories and select the access via the drop-down, which you can be disabled on frontend using GJ 2.4 as well as set its default value from GJ configuration. GJ doesn't use accesslevels and never will as they're rather obsolete at this point.

Is it possible to have the events that are posted within Groupjive groups also appear in some global event listing that all users can have access to? The goal would be to aggregate events into one easily searchable event database. By the way, I do not currently have a global events solution that I'm describing, so feel free to offer up a good one if you have a suggestion.

Out of the box, no, but you could certainly develop something to use the API to do so.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #181622 by raniko
With respect to your point below...

"You can protect groups on a plan by plan basis using By URL Part protection and protecting the URLs. You can also edit groups and/or categories and select the access via the drop-down, which you can be disabled on frontend using GJ 2.4 as well as set its default value from GJ configuration. GJ doesn't use accesslevels and never will as they're rather obsolete at this point."

I reconfigured my groups so that I can easily assign access to the groups/categories as needed(I was not 100% confident that I could configuring the URL Part Protection prooperly to catch all instances). However, my new problem is that when a user creates a category/group in groupjive and it automatically creates a new category/group in Kunena, the category in Kunena becomes available to everyone. For example, if I have group/category access set to "user group 1" in groupjive, the category/group in groupjive works properly... only group 1 users can see it. In Kunena however, the forum is available to everyone, even though I set the Section access that the category is in to "user group 1". When I look in the backend of Kunena, the access level setting that I see is "CommunityBuilder:0" and I no longer have the ability to change the access level directly through Kunena... Any ideas on what I can do to make the forum access=the groupjive access? If that means that I have to set up the group/forum connection in the backen somehow I will do so. Thanks.

12 years 6 months ago #181752 by krileon
The forum created in Kunena is only accessible to those that are in the group. Site moderators, admins, etc.. are of course exempt from this. To properly test your install login with a Registered user that is not in that group and they should not have access to that forum (shouldn't even see it actually).

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #181771 by raniko
This is how I have been testing it unfortunately. I just repeated this test and also went through all of the configurations in groupjive and kunena to see if there was an issue. I could not find anything that should cause any problems. I did notice that the permissions in groupjive are set using "user groups" while the permissions in kunena are set using "access levels"... Could this be causing a problem?

I can't alter the access levels in Kunena if the category/gorup is created through groupjive. The access level appears as CommunityBuilder: 0... Is that normal?

If I create the forums directly in Kunena, the access works fine and the categories don;t appear for groups that shouldn't see them. Similarly, the groups/categories in groupjive work correctly. It only breaks when a groupjive creates the forum and it is only the forum is effected.

Not sure what else to try. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

12 years 6 months ago #181774 by krileon

I did notice that the permissions in groupjive are set using "user groups" while the permissions in kunena are set using "access levels"... Could this be causing a problem?

No, Kunena API allows GJ to set access to a custom level which is dependent on a function defined in GJ to determine if access to that category is allowed or not.

I can't alter the access levels in Kunena if the category/gorup is created through groupjive. The access level appears as CommunityBuilder: 0... Is that normal?

Yes this is normal and no you can't change it. Access is API based.

If I create the forums directly in Kunena, the access works fine and the categories don;t appear for groups that shouldn't see them. Similarly, the groups/categories in groupjive work correctly. It only breaks when a groupjive creates the forum and it is only the forum is effected.

GJ is not ACL. Meaning if User A joins Group 1 then User A can now see the forums for Group 1. GJ is groups similar to what you find on social sites such as Facebook, MySpace, etc.. (I find my self explaining this weekly, need to discuss internally a name change maybe)

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn