[SOLVED] How to create a user listing directory ?

12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #184896 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: How to create a user listing directory ?

My greatest Problem is, you have to make all profiles public, even those, you dont want to have shown in your directory, if you want public users to browse it. Second problem, you cant show one list with two searchcriterias in one page like in your example, but you have to make one page for "Computer" and one page for "Shop".

You can have as many search criteria as you want, they're just fields. Add your Computer and Shop fields to the same userlist and you can search both on the same userlist.

Your profiles also do not need to be public in order to search for users on a userlist. For example set "Allow Access To:" in CB > Configuration > User Profiles to "All Registered Users". Then set your userlist to include all usergroups and allow access to Everyone. You would then be able to search for any user regardless of whether you're logged in or not, but you won't be able to access their profile and could only see the information set to display on the list.

All of this and more is explained in your CB documentation available for download in the Advanced downloads section, please review it carefully.

As announced they will make a first version of CB 2.0 available till end of this year. I am looking forward

We've fallen behind, this probably won't happen. We've had to work on and prepare bug fix releases of CB, CBSubs, and GJ taking away time to work on CB 2.0. We're still trying, but I certainly wouldn't depend on it releasing this year.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 5 months ago #185054 by MacJoomla
Replied by MacJoomla on topic Re: How to create a user listing directory ?
Hello Krileon, thank you for your sugestoins!

krileon wrote: You can have as many search criteria as you want, they're just fields. Add your Computer and Shop fields to the same userlist and you can search both on the same userlist.

Yes, you can have for sure several search criteria, but only to one headline. What i am searching for was like in the example a page with several lists wiht own headlines and own searchcriterias but in one page:

Computer
-user1
-user2

Shop
-user1
-user3

krileon wrote: Your profiles also do not need to be public in order to search for users on a userlist. For example set "Allow Access To:" in CB > Configuration > User Profiles to "All Registered Users". Then set your userlist to include all usergroups and allow access to Everyone. You would then be able to search for any user regardless of whether you're logged in or not, but you won't be able to access their profile and could only see the information set to display on the list.

Thank you for pointing this out, i did not know, but would prefer to have possibility to have some profile public even for guests because i like to use the profile layout with tabs. One way to archive something like this, could be use of privacy plugin, but this does not seem to have high priority in development.

krileon wrote: All of this and more is explained in your CB documentation available for download in the Advanced downloads section, please review it carefully.

one of my most liked lectures ;-)

krileon wrote: We've fallen behind, this probably won't happen. We've had to work on and prepare bug fix releases of CB, CBSubs, and GJ taking away time to work on CB 2.0. We're still trying, but I certainly wouldn't depend on it releasing this year.

Good luck and keep up this good work.

Best regards, Macjoomla

12 years 5 months ago #185066 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re: How to create a user listing directory ?

Yes, you can have for sure several search criteria, but only to one headline. What i am searching for was like in the example a page with several lists wiht own headlines and own searchcriterias but in one page:

Ah, I see. Right that's not possible. The only way to really have them on one page currently is the drop-down select at the top-right of the userlist, but this just allows them to quickly change to a new userlist and not allow multiple userlists per page. As is POST based I don't see how you could have 2 of the same forms on the same page and have them behave properly.

Thank you for pointing this out, i did not know, but would prefer to have possibility to have some profile public even for guests because i like to use the profile layout with tabs. One way to archive something like this, could be use of privacy plugin, but this does not seem to have high priority in development.

You don't need the privacy plugin to block some fields from public view. Simply place them on a new tab and set the tab to registered access only. You could move fields around so only very basic info could be seen on profiles for example. CB Privacy would allow individual users to configure their own tab/field privacy however and does work perfectly fine (not much further to develop on it aside for a few features).

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 5 months ago #185299 by lebellegardien
Replied by lebellegardien on topic Re: How to create a user listing directory ?
thanks for the reply

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn