[SOLVED] Kunena and Group Jive Integration Still Not Working

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #286312 by moozarkgrl
Wrong file uploaded for the second screen - ooops!

When the user clicks on Washington, she will only see the forum for the group she has joined - which is great !!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago #286332 by krileon
GJ category forums are entirely ACL based. Meaning if the category has a view access level of Special then a Registered user can't see it. It's entirely independent of group access, which groups will have their own categories and will be checked for access.

One thing you can do is modify the settings of the GJ category forums and disable posting in them and see if they can just be used for display purposes. Don't know if Kunena has a setting to hide those categories unless they've child categories.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 7 months ago #286349 by moozarkgrl
I'm not going to worry so much about the fact that the Forum index will show all the 1st level categories (states). I did change settings for the state level to be only viewed, posted, replied by a Super User. That only makes it disappear off the list so they can't access the 2nd level groups. That will have to stay the way it is.

However in your response "Your issue is likely that you've manually setup Kunena categories. The only Kunena category you need to manually create is the parent. Then on group create it'll generate the Kunena categories. " is not totally correct, at least in my case.
The GJ setup should be the same as Kunena. So per your instructions, I deleted all the subcategories of each state that were created manually. This left only the state categories. When I brought up each subcategory on the GJ side to resave and automatically create the forum category, I noticed that it ALSO created the top level category - state. So putting in the parent category was not necessary at all. GJ creates the entire tree.

The other thing I noticed is that in Kunena, the order you follow in having GJ create these categories is very important if you need them listed in a particular order - in my case, alphabetically by state. We get accustomed to being able to change the order of groups in GJ, but I found no way that Forum categories could be arranged manually. The order they are created is the way they will be displayed. So in summary, don't create the state categories in Forum first. And when you are opening and saving the counterpart groups in GJ, do them in the order you want them to appear in the Forum index.

Are my findings correct? If so, it should be included in documentation on either the GJ side or the Kunena side. Currently it is not mentioned in the documentation for either one.

7 years 7 months ago #286354 by krileon
The top level category is mandatory. It won't create any group forum categories within that selected in GJ Forums parameters. Saving the group will create its GJ category forums as well if they don't exist otherwise on GJ category save it'll generate them. For an established site the easiest approach is to first configure the top level category parameter then just resave your groups and that should be all you have to do assuming Kunena is already successfully configured to integrate with CB.

The other thing I noticed is that in Kunena, the order you follow in having GJ create these categories is very important if you need them listed in a particular order - in my case, alphabetically by state. We get accustomed to being able to change the order of groups in GJ, but I found no way that Forum categories could be arranged manually. The order they are created is the way they will be displayed. So in summary, don't create the state categories in Forum first. And when you are opening and saving the counterpart groups in GJ, do them in the order you want them to appear in the Forum index.

GJ Forums doesn't set an order. It just lets Kunena handle it entirely. So you should be able to move them around within Kunena (as long as you keep the structure) as needed.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #286366 by moozarkgrl
I think we're on the same page???
On the GJ side I have categories already made for all 50 states. I also have the groups needed for each state setup. So that part is all completed.
On the Kunena side, 50 categories are setup with the Main Forum being the parent category. Because per instructions, I deleted ALL subcategories.

Now, on the GJ side, I pulled up each state group and just resaved it. It did create it's format counterpart. Each GJ group has their own state as their parent. I have a screenshot showing that saving the GJ group also created it's parent group, ie state.

Notice that the state categories of Alabama and Arkansas which I had set up manually are in sequential order. Ids: 316, 317. Once I saved JUST the groups for those states, it did create a new Alabama and Arkansas - Ids: 364 and 369.

If the top category you're referring to in Kunena is Main Forum, then this is what happened.
Attachments:

7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #286367 by moozarkgrl
I also don't have any restrictions for a user to post in state categories that user is not a member of.

This user is only a member of one group - Washington trainers.

And his profile's forum activity is shown here:

Attachments:

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn