[#5273] SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL

9 years 1 day ago - 9 years 1 day ago #263759 by MAYASIMA
Replied by MAYASIMA on topic SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL

That could be CB Privacy or CB Conditional. I don't recommend conditioning or allowing privacy on core fields like formatname or avatar as they're used extensively outside of profile to identify users.

Yes, after disabling the privacy plugin this issue get's resolved. I am not sure yet what it exactly means because I never enabled the privacy option for the [formatname] field. I will keep you posted when I figure it out. Going back to the emailing issue. I have tried probably almost anything, disabling plugins, clean install, etc... it keeps doing it. So I started searching the language files and when I found:
'REGISTRATION_EMAIL_FROM_NAME'	=>	'[sitename] Sign Up',
I decided to test it and change it to:
'REGISTRATION_EMAIL_FROM_NAME'	=>	'[formatname]',
and sure enough this changed the from name of the email but it didn't pickup the username instead it showed it exactly like entered in the language file; [formatname]. So clearly something is not right here. Can you direct me to the actual file that handles this function and maybe send me a copy of yours to see if there is a version issue or maybe a corrupt file?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 12 hours ago #263791 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL
[formatname] won't work in the from name. It doesn't parse it for substitutions. The only substitution that'll work there is [sitename] as it's a direct string replace.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 11 hours ago #263796 by MAYASIMA
Well, I didn't mean to make it about the [formatname] substitution. I am trying to resolve the email issue and I was explaining that somehow it is picking up
'REGISTRATION_EMAIL_FROM_NAME'
as the from name. Is it suppose to do this? I don't think so. So why is it doing this? Not to forget why is it not adding the user's email address in the body of the email. Which apparently also doesn't work for you.

9 years 10 hours ago #263806 by krileon
That's the registration from name within CB > Configuration > Registration. If you've changed that parameter from that language string then it'll use whatever is specified in the parameter otherwise it'll be whatever the language string value is.

Not to forget why is it not adding the user's email address in the body of the email. Which apparently also doesn't work for you.

I've added a bug ticket for this. I'm not sure why the email isn't substituting in correctly. The extra substitution array looks fine so there's no real reason for that to not work.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/5273

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 11 months ago #264262 by MAYASIMA

That's the registration from name within CB > Configuration > Registration. If you've changed that parameter from that language string then it'll use whatever is specified in the parameter otherwise it'll be whatever the language string value is.

I understand that, I only changed it once to troubleshoot it, as a shortcut to find out what value the from name in the email form is picking up. My question is why is it using the 'REGISTRATION_EMAIL_FROM_NAME' language string value. This seems wrong. I don't think CB was designed to use that language string as the from name in the send email form. If I understand it correctly and as mentioned by you in this thread earlier:

The email should be structured as follows.

Subject: SUBJECT
Body:

Instead on my CB site it is working as follows:
Body:

I've added a bug ticket for this. I'm not sure why the email isn't substituting in correctly. The extra substitution array looks fine so there's no real reason for that to not work.

Thanks!

8 years 11 months ago #264273 by krileon

I understand that, I only changed it once to troubleshoot it, as a shortcut to find out what value the from name in the email form is picking up. My question is why is it using the 'REGISTRATION_EMAIL_FROM_NAME' language string value. This seems wrong. I don't think CB was designed to use that language string as the from name in the send email form. If I understand it correctly and as mentioned by you in this thread earlier:

The From Name can be a language string. So can the subject and body as they're all visible to the recipient as strings so allowing translation of them makes sense.

Instead on my CB site it is working as follows:
Body:

I'm not seeing this in any of my tests. It should be the users name and not the from name substitution. Example as follows.

demouser @ MySite

This is hardcoded directly into the notification API as long as $revealEmail is set to true, which it's forced to for the email form. Was CBs core code modified in any way? The only issue I can confirm is email not substituting in.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.737 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn