[#5273] SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL

9 years 2 weeks ago #263671 by MAYASIMA
Replied by MAYASIMA on topic SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL
Well for starters the layout because the user's message is put at the end of a signup message, at first I had to look for it to see if it even was included in the message text. I also would like to add some information of the user that actually sent the message. Right now you cannot tell were the message comes from until you hit reply and then you will see the user's email address but that still does not mean anything to most users. I would like to change the from name as well. I do not know were it get's the from name from but it looks like it takes the Joomla site name then ad's "Sign Up @" and then again the Joomla site name.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 2 weeks ago #263677 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic SEND A MESSAGE VIA EMAIL
The email should be structured as follows.

Subject: SUBJECT
Body:
------- This is a message from FORMATNAME  at SITENAME(SITEURL) to you: -------

------ NOTES: ------

This user did not see your email address. If you reply the recipient will have your email address.

SITENAME owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email and of user email addresses.

If it's not then the language strings for the surrounding text have been changed already. Specifically it uses the below strings.

'EMAIL_NOTE_MESSAGE_FROM_NAME_AT_SITENAME_TO_YOU' => '------- This is a message from [formatname] at [sitename] ([siteurl]) to you: -------',
'EMAIL_NOTE' => '------ NOTES: ------',
'EMAIL_NOTE_UNSEEN_ADDRESS' => 'This user did not see your email address. If you reply the recipient will have your email address.',
'EMAIL_NOTE_CONTENTS_DISCLAIMER' => '[sitename] owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email and of user email addresses.',

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #263684 by MAYASIMA
I just checked this and it looks a bit different because of the reply email that I have activated but otherwise it is the same:
'EMAIL_NOTE_MESSAGE_FROM_NAME_AT_SITENAME_TO_YOU'	=>	'------- This is a message from [formatname] at [sitename] ([siteurl]) to you: -------',
'EMAIL_NOTE_WHEN_REPLYING_CHECK_ADDRESS'	=>	'When replying, please check carefully that the email address of [formatname] is [email].',
'EMAIL_NOTE'	=>	'------ NOTES: ------',
'EMAIL_NOTE_UNSEEN_ADDRESS'	=>	'This user did not see your email address. If you reply the recipient will have your email address.',
'EMAIL_NOTE_CONTENTS_DISCLAIMER'	=>	'[sitename] owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email and of user email addresses.',

And because of the reply email, in my case the
'EMAIL_NOTE_WHEN_REPLYING_CHECK_ADDRESS'
is put right in front of the actual message text as follows:
------- This is a message from FORMATNAME  at SITENAME(SITEURL) to you: -------

When replying, please check carefully that the email address of [formatname] is [email].MESSAGE

This user did not see your email address. If you reply the recipient will have your email address.

SITENAME owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email and of user email address

However more importantly for some reason it is not picking up the [formatname] and instead it is replacing everything with "[sitename] Sign Up". It is also is not recognizing the reply email and adding it to the email as per:
'EMAIL_NOTE_WHEN_REPLYING_CHECK_ADDRESS'	=>	'When replying, please check carefully that the email address of [formatname] is [email].',

Any idea what this can be? I just did a test from 4 users and it always does this regardless which users emails which.

Thanks,

Sima

9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #263723 by krileon
Looks like the substitutions aren't working for some reason. It should be replacing those with your profile data. I don't know why it's not working for your install. Was CBs core code modified in any way? It pulls the email and formatname substitutions directly from the user object. Run CB > Tools > User Synchronize as maybe the user doesn't exist in CB, but exists in Joomla. It appears to be working fine in my tests. Please see the following results.

To:
admin@localhost.com
"demouser1 @ Development" <postmaster@localhost.com>
Reply-To:
demouser1 <demouser1@localhost.com>
Subject:
This is my email subject
------- This is a message from demouser1 at Development (http://localhost/dev) to you: -------

When replying, please check carefully that the email address of demouser1 is .This is my email message

Development owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email and of user email addresses.

Looks like there's some formatting issues (missing line breaks) for the when replying string, but aside from that all the substitutions appear to be working ok. The above is a test on my development environment, but also tested on a fresh Joomla + CB and is also working there.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

9 years 1 week ago #263728 by MAYASIMA
Core has not been modified. Users are all ok and synchronized. Although I am seeing some strange behavior with just one user were the user's formatted name sometimes doesn't appear in various areas of CB. For example when displaying a user list of all CB users or when accessing the email form or when looking at connections. But then again that only happens with one particular user. This was next on my to do list and I didn't further look into it yet. But thinking of it now, can it be that I have a session problem?

9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #263740 by krileon

Although I am seeing some strange behavior with just one user were the user's formatted name sometimes doesn't appear in various areas of CB. For example when displaying a user list of all CB users or when accessing the email form or when looking at connections. But then again that only happens with one particular user.

That could be CB Privacy or CB Conditional. I don't recommend conditioning or allowing privacy on core fields like formatname or avatar as they're used extensively outside of profile to identify users.

But thinking of it now, can it be that I have a session problem?

I don't see how unless myId from Joomla is returning 0 as if you're not logged in, but you'd have significantly more pressing issues than this if that was the case.

Try disabling non-core CB plugins 1 by 1 within CB > Plugin Management to see if issue goes away as it could be some sort of conflict.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn