Captcha 2.0 Released for Documentation Service Sub

16 years 5 months ago #49644 by StrongDotGuy
:( Well, commenting out the include line (15) gave me the captcha image and audio. However, after registering a new user and clicking on the confirm registration link in the email, my site went down with premature end of script header errors (500). Cannot bring up the frontend or backend. The last time this happened, I had to delete and reinstall Mambo and all the components/plugins.

I'm not having a good experience here.
The topic has been locked.
16 years 5 months ago #49649 by beat
Hm, must be something else misconfigured on the server. :(

E.g. The backend login screen is unrelated with CB by near or by far, and thus even less with CB captcha plugin. If even that gives a Server Error (500), then it's definately unrelated... :S

Are you sure any other (possibly key) Mambo file didn't get touched ?

You should contact your hoster, he might help.

It's hard to tell without seeing. If anything else is excluded, and you wish us to take a look, you are welcome to PM me.

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
16 years 5 months ago #49662 by StrongDotGuy
Well, I recovered access to the site. I found the .htaccess file was altered and the mod_rewrite engine was turned off. I think that happened when I disabled hotlink protection to see if that was preventing the captcha image to show.

However, that did not fix my issue with the confirmation email. Registration of a new user goes fine through captcha and the other tabs. A confirmation email is sent. But, when the link back for confirmation is clicked, an internal server error is generated and the registration is not confirmed. It seems I'm getting closer but I haven't a clue where to look now.
16 years 5 months ago #49664 by beat
StrongDotGuy wrote:

Well, I recovered access to the site. I found the .htaccess file was altered and the mod_rewrite engine was turned off. I think that happened when I disabled hotlink protection to see if that was preventing the captcha image to show.

No worries, happens often to break something else when trying to fix one thing, same happens in software development too... ;)

However, that did not fix my issue with the confirmation email. Registration of a new user goes fine through captcha and the other tabs. A confirmation email is sent. But, when the link back for confirmation is clicked, an internal server error is generated and the registration is not confirmed. It seems I'm getting closer but I haven't a clue where to look now.

Turn site debug ON in site config temporarly, error should then display... or check error log.

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info
16 years 5 months ago #49675 by StrongDotGuy
I turned on debug and received no error messages whether at the frontend or backend. The confirmation email generates the following hyperlink:
ccun.fortvir.net/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=confirm&confirmcode=regfadcf78a31ca9629d82ec2e912e2c13b0f6b0039

When this link is clicked in the email message, a new browser window is opened which stays blank for about a minute before it returns an internal server error. The server error logs just say "premature end of script headers" in /index.php. If I try to log in using the new user registration, I get the message that my registration is not confirmed and the site sends out a new email with the confirmation link. It seems like everything is working but the confirmation. I suppose I could just turn it off but I hate having a feature that I can't make work.

WHOA!:woohoo: I just clicked on the link above and was confirmed. Something was funky with the link in the email message in webmail. I wonder if folks who are using webmail accounts will have problems like this?

Post edited by: StrongDotGuy, at: 2007/11/07 22:42
16 years 5 months ago #49677 by beat
It looks like the server never calls the CB code for this.

I'm suspecting a missconfigured .htaccess or another server misconfig or Mambo misconfiguration here. Link format is correct. And fact that another email is sent proves that the email confirmation didn't come through into CB.

EDIT: just saw you use Mambo, not Joomla, so corrected text above :)

EDIT 2:

I could successfully register, and confirm using Safari 2.0 at the link cited above :) . You can delete test-user "beat" ;)

Post edited by: beat, at: 2007/11/07 22:55

Post edited by: beat, at: 2007/11/07 22:59

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn