CB 1.2 Feature Set - Prerelease Announcement

15 years 11 months ago #63180 by mahar
just one simple question for 'nant'.
cb 1.2 is it coming or not.so i can know what to do with my site.if the subscribed members havent got there cb 1.2,a non-subscribed member will get it?
if i will get it in the july,please tell me so i can rty to work with cb 1.1
not a hard question,no?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 11 months ago #63188 by baakmedia
Replied by baakmedia on topic Re:CB 1.2 Feature Set - Prerelease Announcement
Hey! First of all i want to say thank you...for an already great program and what i expect to be and even more incredible programs within a few weeks. Thank you developers for all your hard work. For those who keep seeming to get irritated on here please be patient. These guys are working hard for not really a lot of money...I promise you all that you will know when it comes out, and you have been waiting for months, a few more days or weeks won't kill you. Instead of asking when when when just encourage these guys!! It will make there lives a little easier!!

Thanks again CB team!! Great work so far!!

15 years 11 months ago #63193 by Kandas
Hi all. I am new to the Forums here but I've been using and following the Community Builder for almost a year and a half now. I think tht put me in the position where I can safely say what I am going to say now.

Nobody is disputing the fact that Community Builder is an awesome extension to Joomla.

Nor is anybody disputing the fact that the core development team put in long hours for little money and drink a lot of coffee.

Problem is, so are we. Further problem is the fact that we are planning our own projects around promised release dates of Joomlapolis extensions. A far as the Subscription extension is concerned - after a year I have given up and taken the knocks of promising my own clients.

In this specific case I have "calmed" my clients and showed them that, at long last, the release date was imminent. On the 13th you guys said 4 more days and I then decided I will support you guys (and help myself) and last Friday i purchased the Document Subscription.

Just to see that Nick (with all due respect, like he has been doing for ages now) stalled everything again and try to calm us down by saying that he thinks it will be released by next weekend.

With all due respect guys, that is condescending towards all of us and nit the way to go about it. If you can not commit to promised release dates then don't do it.

And then also have the decency to tell us exactly what is going on. As simple as that.

15 years 11 months ago #63198 by mahar
baakmedia wrote:

Hey! First of all i want to say thank you...for an already great program and what i expect to be and even more incredible programs within a few weeks. Thank you developers for all your hard work. For those who keep seeming to get irritated on here please be patient. These guys are working hard for not really a lot of money...I promise you all that you will know when it comes out, and you have been waiting for months, a few more days or weeks won't kill you. Instead of asking when when when just encourage these guys!! It will make there lives a little easier!!

Thanks again CB team!! Great work so far!!

OK.For te cb team all the respect,but all i said is 'dont say unless you do it'.
The first release was planned in april,we are almost in june,so its been a while,wont you say.If they want to make it a commercial component,and charge it,no problem,but we should know,not going around a circle,release these day,week,month,year.
we all have projects,so its good to know what can we based on and what not.

15 years 11 months ago #63202 by beat
Funilly the same persons that are requesting dates are also bashing when we don't meet the dates that we are trying to guess. :laugh:

CB isn't a small component :whistle: . Paid subscriptions is a big plugin. If we tell you the new features (not yet announced) that it brings, you will get even more impatient....that's the main reason we are not disclosing them yet (no, it's not cooking coffee, but does some things which are very demanded). ;)

We are as eager as you to get this out asap, but also eager to have it working up to expectations when it gets out. ;)

Current status is as follows (facts only):

- CB beta 7 got released to CB testteam on 3rd May 2008. :)
- Paid subscriptions CB plugin beta 7 got released to paid subs testteam on Saturday :) (leading to already 3 new bugs found in CB beta 7).

- first days only about 10 bugs got identified by CB testteam, and about 10 by us. We based our 4-10 days estimate based on those findings. :whistle:
- then CB testteam found more (more than we expected as margin), and we too, totaling to 60 bugs found. :woohoo:

- around 40 CB beta 7 bugs got already fixed, 20 remaining to fix. :blush:

- of the 60 bugs, 3 were very hard to evaluate the time to fix them. We took priority to fix properly those 3 to be able to predict our own time a little bit better. 2 are completely fixed and tested, the last one is fixed at about 75%.

So we are left with 20 bugs to fix with on CB before releasing RC. :)

Obviously, with 20 bugs, we could have gone directly from beta 7 to RC, but with 60 bugs, once fixed, we need to go through another final beta 8 round to check that we don't have gross regressions due to bug-fixes.

Now on your question: How much more time will this take ?

Fixing the remaining annoying bugs will take at least 2 days, then doing a beta 8 testing-fixing round takes at least 2 days. Thus Nick's estimate by next week-end, if nothing else major comes in-between.

Thanks to the doc subscriptions and very few co-sponsoring of features (special thanks goes here to joomlapolitan Rover and his company Rovermedia for helping financing the development of the multi-criteria users-lists searches), we are able to work full+free time on CB these weeks. Many Thanks to all doc subscribers and contributors. B)

CB 1.2 is huge step forward for CB. Almost half of CB has been rewritten in the last months, while keeping compatibility, and adding lots of flexibility and features, cleaning up lots of older code, while also becoming cross-platforms native, and hugely extending its extensibility with plugins and the new fields API. And now we are almost done. Exciting times. :woohoo:

With a part of 140'000 :woohoo: joomlapolitans waiting for this big release, some of which are under commercial customers pressures, we understand and feel very well the (positive) pressure ;) and work as hard as we can to make CB 1.2 RC a live-site quality release candidate. Thanks for having understanding in these last days and for your encouragements :)

Now back to work on CB 1.2 ;)

Next news when we reach beta 8, ok ? :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 11 months ago #63240 by sm8417
I do not post a lot and have been using CB for a long time and wanted to tell everyone thats on the CB Team arse to get off it and let them do their job. When it gets released it will be released. They are doing us favor not us to them. Sit back and relax.

P.S. Beat, Nick.. and all the rest of you guys.. good job and keep up the good work

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn