[SOLVED] Customizing title & description of header image

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #275509 by Magic2014
Hi Guys,

Working on customizing the title and description displayed (Join Us... Welcome to our community - tell us about yourself and sign up) on the general.jpg image of the registration page. Only thing is, I can't seem to locate the html or php file to edit.

Can someone tell me how to get to that file? Also, while we're at it, if you can point out where the adjustments can be made to the "thanks for visiting our site" also.

Thnx
Magic

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #275518 by nant

Magic2014 wrote: Hi Guys,

Working on customizing the title and description displayed (Join Us... Welcome to our community - tell us about yourself and sign up) on the general.jpg image of the registration page. Only thing is, I can't seem to locate the html or php file to edit.

Can someone tell me how to get to that file? Also, while we're at it, if you can point out where the adjustments can be made to the "thanks for visiting our site" also.

Thnx
Magic

All these are language strings.

Download the latest CB Primer Book and study it.

8 years 4 months ago #275529 by Magic2014
Replied by Magic2014 on topic Customizing title & description of header image
language string is one of the first options I went to. I input join us. It could not find it. Is there something else I'm missing. Or does CB have it's own language string?

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #275534 by Magic2014
Nick
I have to admit I’m extremely disappointed in the level of support I’ve been receiving from CB (most notable from yourself) lately. To begin with none of the information necessary to create a language override is in contained in the CB Primer Book. On top of that, the information you can track down regarding CB Language Overrides is convoluted, confusing, and quite frankly to a great extent, wrong.

I’m not sure what has happened with CB. If it’s some organizational shift, or concerns moreso of an esoteric nature common to certain individuals. But whatever the case, the support of late has been terrible.

This is highly unacceptable considering the fact that Community Builder touts itself as a community service type organization designed to provide opportunity as well as expansion to those who seek it regardless of their socioeconomic status (put quite simply, I myself – as well as many others – were under the impression you truly wanted to help people and were not solely out for profits, which was part of the appeal of your organization.

But even to the extent that you seek to increase profits, it is not smart business policy to snub those that help supply those profits, as well as offer overall support of what was previously considered a noble enterprise.

Now of course I’m not suggesting you spend 10 min on each question, but I was somehow under the impression that support was part of the service offered in exchange for purchase of a Developer membership (certainly that’s part of the reason we purchased it.) To that end, your response:

“All these are language strings.
Download the latest CB Primer Book and study it. “

Is not support. Neither is it helpful, and neither does it begin to offer a solution; and if it offered a solution it would be the wrong solution.

It is not so much a matter of the wrong solution as it is the tone and manner in which you supplied the non-solution. Most of us have experienced support that has at some point been wrong, but to be wrong and rude on top of wrong is quite simply unprofessional and unacceptable.

If you are not going to offer support then you should at least offer members their money back. Or better yet, how about taking a few minutes over and above the ten seconds needed to throw out a “Download the CB Primer Book and study it” snub, and offer real support with real answers. It need not be ten minutes, but it cannot be ten seconds and wrong on top of ten seconds.

At any rate, I’ve managed to discover the solution and wish to share it with other community members in hopes of maximizing their time and minimizing their frustrations. While at it, I just went ahead and prepared a quick overview for complete customization. This will help new members and less technical members master the learning curve and customize their sites much much faster and with greater precision.

The tutorial follows:

Personalizing Your Joomla/CB Website and Using Language Overrides

As you know, Joomla and Community Builder both offer tremendous potential when it comes to user specific customization – which of course is part of the reason you select any web-platform and framework. Put quite simply, a web package that cannot be tailored to fit your specific needs is of little value.

So, how to make a Joomla/CB site your site?

Actually, it’s pretty easy.

1) First of all, most of your customization (i.e. titles, descriptions, labels etc.) will take place in the backend dialogues of Joomla and CB which are already preconfigured for the expressed purpose of customization.

2) The remaining items that cannot be personalized via the backend, usually can be customized through CSS or via a template override. You have access to both of these by the way, in the back-end of Joomla. Although, you may need to access the files manually for CB. Also:
3) Finally, the system content that cannot be customized via the first two options can usually be customized through the language override. Joomla already has an automated solution in place which works rather nicely.

In the back-end of Joomla go

a. Extensions -
b. Languages -
c. Scroll down to overrides in field on left
d. Click
e. Click new button

f. On right hand side type the value or text you are looking to change *(be sure to select "value" in drop search option)

g. The search will return various text strings which you will select from to find the appropriate value or text you are looking to change.

h. Locate desired text to change and click

i. Modify text to reflect desired statement in text box field on left underneath Language Constant.

j. Click save and close

CB does not as of yet have an automated solution in place for customizing system content, so the steps will be a little more involved for now.

1. Go to www.joomlapolis.com/cb-solutions/languages and select and download the language plugin that corresponds to the language used on your site.

2. Install in CB Plugins as any other plugin. (Ignore the existing default language plugin already present)

3. Then from public_html (or equivalent depending upon site setup) go to:
components/com_comprofiler/plugin/user/plug_cblanguageoverride/language/default_language

4. Copy files:

○ language.php
○ admin_language.php

5. From public_html (or equivalent) go to: components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/en-gb/cbplugin *(Great Britain language folder is en-gb but others will vary according to language plugin. So look for your particular language installed in place of en-gb and follow accordingly)

6. Paste copied files

7. Amend copied files adding the following prefix:

cblanguageoverride-

Copied files should look like this:

○ cblanguageoverride-language.php
○ cblanguageoverride-admin_language.php

8. Now go into default language plugin:
components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/default_language

And locate existing language files:

○ language.php
○ OR
○ admin_language.php

9. Open up either:

○ language.php
○ Or
○ Admin_language.php

(depending upon where your desired revision is located)

10. Use search to locate the desired string you’d like to modify.
11. Copy ENTIRE line.
12. Go to newly created language override file
  • components/com_comprofiler/plugin/language/en-gb/cbplugin

13. Paste copied string into the array function

i.e.

return array(
'REGISTER_TITLE' => 'Whatever text you'd like to change',
);

*(Spit parenthesis with a return and paste copied string in between on line by itself.)

14. Modify pasted language string (small text BETWEEN single quotes (i.e. ‘Whatever text you'd like to change') to reflect desired statement. (i.e. ‘hello’ 'goodmorning' ….etc.)

15. Save and close

With these simple steps you’ll be quickly on your way to transforming your Joomla/CB site into your own personal site, which of course is the point to begin with.

So good luck, and check back if you have any questions. We’ll try and monitor this thread for a few days. But if you follow these instructions you really should have no problems customizing and personalizing your site quickly and efficiently.

*Just a procedural note: basically, what you’ve just done is gone into the language file and change the value (or existing system text) to your own desired text. Although instead of changing the language file directly, you created an Override (i.e. the uploading of language files and the amending and copying to your new language plugin folder) and made the changes there instead.

cheers

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #275536 by nant
Hi Magic2014!

Let me first address the issue at hand and then I can comment on some of the other things you wrote.

I gave a quick answer on a weekend post wanting to at least provide a general direction that could help you with your issue.

I mentioned the CB Primer Book and language string.
From your quick response, I see that you were not aware that CB does not use the Joomla translation method (no need to get into reasoning for this decision at this point). So in a sense my quick (I agree) reference to the CB Primer Book was not totally useless.

I did not mention language overrides - if I did I would (hopefully) provide more info to help you out.

The CB Language override process is a clunky work-around and there needs to be something much easier and effortless to do this. We do have plans for a UI for such overrides (for next major CB release).

If all you are needing is just to make a few changes to your English website, you can do the following:

1. Download the latest CB English Language plugin from the Download -> Languages area.

For your quick action the latest package URL is:
forge.joomlapolis.com/attachments/download/3228/plug_language_english_en-GB_2.0.12.1.0.6+54a76f34f.zip

2. Unzip this to reveal the plugin folders and files (you can also read a description about the contents in the CB Primer Book - Chapter 10)

3. Using your prefered text editor open the file language.php and locate the Join Us text line (it is line #626 for me) and make the change you want.
For example:

'REGISTER_TITLE' => 'Join us!',

can become:

'REGISTER_TITLE' => 'My Join us text!',

4. Save the changes, rezip the package, and install it using the CB Plugin Management page.

That should do it.

Back to overrides - as I mentioned I totally agree that this is not a good solution and I have been pushing internally for something better. Actually the pushing helped me identify the override method as at least a first work-around.

Hopefully this issue can be addressed soon as it does tax everyones patience.

Regarding your personal towards me statement - I can see your point at least for this post (tried to find other support threads I have helped you with lately and could not find something to support your - "most notable from you" comment.

Something to consider is that support threads are worked on during business days/hours.
I happened to see this on a Saturday and wanted to at least give you something to work on with the CB Primer Book (always a good read as it could inspire you for other things) over the weekend.

And even though it was the weekend under different circumstances I would have given a more complete response but I was working on tutorial #4 of the CB Query field playlist (you can check the creation upload date to verify if you want):

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0puRITgC7MM9iP9FooKB1qk8f5MLWVp

Thanks for posting the solution for others reading.

And once again thank you for your support as a Developer member - hopefully my future (business hours) replies will be better.

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #275542 by Magic2014
Again Nick,

There's no excuse for your tone and manner. You slighting a customer is not trying to provide quick customer service on the fly. If you do not know how to offer quick efficacious answers in a positive manner then indeed it would be much better to wait and offer something substantive and respectful at a later date... certainly as opposed to useless and demeaning (as the CB Primer Book is very good generally speaking but offers absolutely no help with Language Overrides) .

To my point regarding the recent customer service in general, I believe it was you also who (I suppose) missed the whole point of my former post entirely (which I had to resubmit a few hours later and wait hours again for the response - which seems to me I could have received the first time.)

Point is Nick, there is a way to say things, be it in a hurry or no hurry, it takes no additional time to say please, or how about this, or you may want to check that - or any number of common courtesies well-intended and good-willed people exercise in normal day to day communications. The fact that the assistance provided is incomplete at best coupled with indifference at the very least, compounds the matter to send a message of disregard and disrespect for customers and community members.

I really don't have time to rehash and explain basic interpersonal or communication skills. In business these do come somewhat naturally though when a customer or client or community member is valued. But the best advice I can offer at this point is, if you are sincerely seeking to help anyone, be it in business, as a community service, or even a friend, make it a point to show that that is your real intent, otherwise on the fly efforts may come across as attacks or insults.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn