[SOLVED] Customizing title & description of header image

8 years 4 months ago #275708 by nant

Magic2014 wrote: Actually, I'm not exactly sure what fixed it. I finally just decided to remove and recreate everything (or at least the logout), and whallah! Worked like a new clock. It may have been any number of things (was multi-tasking while creating so didn't step-check development). ...Believe it or not, it may have even been the cache - ran into a similar problem today and cleared the cache right away, and once again worked like a charm.

But while I've got you online, got a bit of puzzler I'm sure you've got some insight on.

Here's what we're looking at:

Installing CB Gallery for posting member media but would like the items (such as videos)
to be categorized and searchable. It's simple enough to create the profile tabs but I'm not finding anyway to attach a tag or label or some type of category - some way to harvest and classify it as data (similar to user blogs).

The basic idea is to have video, audio etc searchable and classifiable and be able to present that data (media) in a number of ways just like blogs or articles.

e.x. Videos - (Categories) Bronco riding - Bull Riding - Calf Roping - barrel racing

Visitors select category from menu and then filter by city or newest or age or whatever. Point is we want to attach the video to some type of identifier that can be organized and used as data (much like User Blogs - might even call it Video Blog)

...we'd also like to have a field where members might add a few informational comments about the video.

...finally these videos will be posted by groups (Group Jive)as well as individual community members. The idea is to have individuals and groups post multiple videos (audio etc) to their page and have that media manipulated just like an article or blog.

In a phrase: we want to manipulate media just like blogs and articles.

So any ideas? I haven't figured it out yet, but I know there's got to be a way to do this.

Let me know.

Thx
Magic

Unfortunately there are no tagging features (yet) in CB and it's add-ons.
Letting Kyle follow-up here after Xmas Holidays as I believe he has such functionality planned for future releases.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

8 years 4 months ago #275718 by Magic2014
Replied by Magic2014 on topic Customizing title & description of header image
Well - thanks for getting back. Looking forward to see what we can put together at least in terms of workaround.

Magic

8 years 4 months ago #275758 by krileon
CB Gallery is not designed how you're wanting to use it. It's user galleries, not a site gallery. It has no categorization (beyond Albums I suppose). It has no tagging, but it will eventually once I've expanded that API in CB Activity further. It won't have site wide output or global searching functionality. CB Gallery and CB GroupJive also do not interact with one another in any way (they will at some point with GJ Gallery to replace the existing media integrations in GJ).

In short I think you're trying to apply usecases to plugins that are not designed for those usecases. While you can try and force it it's not going to be easy and likely will require custom coding to the plugin it self or a new plugin to accomplish what you're wanting.

For your usecase you maybe better off using a Joomla gallery extension as it'd be a site gallery that everyone can contribute to instead of directly relating those gallery entries to a specific profile.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 4 months ago #275764 by Magic2014
Thanks Kyle,

I figured as much and have been working around this design parameter in the interim. (Please see latest post Circumventing iframes?? . I will look into J-gallery exts, but since I've got you online please confirm or clarify:

From what I can determine, GJ will work sitewide, but will not integrate with Joomla (e.x. cannot use Joomla categories etc. but can be put to menu and searched, sorted and filtered via its own separate indexing - categories etc)

In other words, Joomla has its own index and GJ has its own separate index and the two do not merge (integrate) but either (and I suppose both simultaneously: one on one menu another on another) one can be used sitewide to present and distribute information.

8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #275778 by krileon
I'm not sure you're understanding the independence of extensions and extensions of those extensions. It's a bit confusing at first, but think of each part of Joomla as just another extension (they actually are). So for example Joomla content is just com_content. It's like CB Blogs in CB. It's packaged with CB, but it's still a completely independent plugin. Joomla content for example is for articles and it has nothing to do with anything beyond that.

GJ provides user groups for users to collaborate and communicate with one another. It has its entirely own systems from categories, to groups, to videos, etc.. It has its own frontend menu items to its various pages. It has no relation to Joomla content or its categories.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

8 years 4 months ago #275794 by Magic2014
I think I gotcha Kyle. I may not be mirroring it so well, but let's see.

Each extension is it's own separate box and works in isolation, not integrating with others unless designed to do so. (i.e. GJ categories separate from Joomla categories) Eventhough it plugs into Joomla it does not integrate data and other functions with Joomla or any other extension. When an extension or plugin does (such as in the case of CB Blogs [e.x. internal, Joomla, K2 parameters] or Kunena forums) it is because it is specifically designed to do so. Otherwise it would just plug in and operate all own its own like a separate piece of software, or a separate browser window.

Am I close? If I'm still off base please inform. Don't want to operate based on the wrong premise.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn