[SOLVED] CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #227053 by jered@saverexpress.com
[SOLVED] CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup was created by jered@saverexpress.com
Greetings gentlemen!

I want to pest you a bit with a question.

Right now running Joomla 2.5.10 with CBsubs GPL 3.0.0 and CB1.9

Scenario: Joomla as been set to register all clients under a custom usergroup (in this case SUBSCRIBER), so any registered groups CANNOT see anything of the subscriber group by default (Ie, we're a private site, and we sell to very specific groups of people)

Joomla is set "New User Registration Group" to "SUBSCRIBER".

The problem..
all CB related behavior forces all users to "REGISTERED" group.

Example Actions that cause this:

a) User registration thru plans... clients will have the correct ACCESS levels and groups as selected in the plan. The issue is... they will ALWAYS BE IN REGISTERED GROUP AS WELL!

b) A client's subscription runs out.. CBSubs will again automatically assign the user to the REGISTERED user group, regardless of what option is in the ACCESS tab is used.

c) When a client renews or purchases another subscription.. again CbSubs will automatically assign the client's usergroup to REGISTERED plus what is set in the ACCESS.

Is this a bug?
or this is normal behavior?
what could be done to prevent such changes?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 11 months ago #227111 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup
CB will use the default usergroup set within Joomla. Only reason for CBSubs to give them Registered is if you've a CBSubs plan that's giving it to them. Why is giving them Registered an issue though? Subscriber should be a child usergroup of Registered for everything to work properly. New child usergroups of Public tend to act awkward in CB as it's not completely up to speed with Joomlas new more complex ACL.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #227119 by jered@saverexpress.com
Replied by jered@saverexpress.com on topic CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup
that is the second issue I'm having.

If we use REGISTERED and any child of it, certain menu will NOT BE VISIBLE

its like the REGISTERED and its childs do not play along with newer childs.

since its a live site I cannot make much changes on the fly.

also, like I said before, I already set the default group to "subscriber" yet CB keeps going back to "registered".

Here is our current group list:

I tried using the same child type (Ie subscriber inside registered)
and it would NOT work.. a menu that is set to subscriber will not be visible even if the user is in subscriber.. removing it from "registered" makes it work again.

I have tried REGISTERED -> SUBSCRIBER NA (which as privileges to access certain menus and sections)
also REGISTERED -> SUBSCRIBER -> SUBSCRIBER NA

its like, as long it touched "REGISTERED" group, the CBsubs and Joomla ACL limitations wont work properly.

Current VIEWING ACCESS levels

ACCESS gives access to a specific page only.
SUBSCRIBER is the one that lets menus be visible
(I tried adding the same rights to registered than to subscriber.. and it didnt work either)

and the REGISTERED privileges

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #227126 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup
Move Subscriber to be a child of Registered. Do not create new parent usergroups like that as Joomla, 3rd party extensions, CB, etc.. typically don't know what to do with it. New parents like that also won't have permissions properly and automatically setup making it even more difficult to get desired results.

I suggest cloning your site and doing this change on a clone to be sure it gives desired results as you said this is an active site or at the least making a backup that you can restore to if change causes problems.

You also may want to look into an extension like ACL Manager to better help control the ACL and debug it; the new ACL usage in Joomla is over complicated.

Note you probably need to correct permissions after you move Subscriber as they're probably setup to treat the user like they're Public as by default they inherit from the parent.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 11 months ago #227129 by jered@saverexpress.com
Replied by jered@saverexpress.com on topic CBsubs and Joomla Custom Default Usergroup
Thanks krileon, I will try to make a 1:1 copy in a subdirectory to see how it behaves.

10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #227580 by jered@saverexpress.com
Hello Krileon,

I have tried what was suggested.. moved the entire block of SUBSCRIBER into REGISTERED.
now normal accounts who have the SUBSCRIBER AND REGISTERED ranks cannot access the menus which are set to SUBSCRIBER.
removing the user from REGISTERED lets the user see the menu again.

any ideas?

Note you probably need to correct permissions after you move Subscriber as they're probably setup to treat the user like they're Public as by default they inherit from the parent.

I suppose I have to do the correction of ACL. How do I do that?

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn