Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #238365 by krileon

Magic2014 wrote: BTW do you know what template is included with 1.9 Professional? and is a module map included?

Not sure I understand the question. All our Joomla templates are provided with Professional subscription. You can use Joomlas preview feature for module position information.

scfischer7 wrote: I'm new to community builder and purchased the dev copy of the latest version. Is there a feature matrix of what is updates/added between 1.9 and 2.0 ?

You can review our progress from our forge below.

forge.joomlapolis.com/projects/cb/roadmap

inet2800 wrote: Is developer documentation also upgraded?

Not yet, but we've plans to significantly improve documentation.

inet2800 wrote: Are you considering demo sites with working examples in lieu of developer documentation; i.e., use cases?

Yes, we actually have plans for personal live demo sites with full frontend/backend access for testing. Developer documentation, when available, will also include examples.

UnConnoisseur wrote: Just watched Beat's video. Sounds very good, but perhaps by omission, it made it sound like one develops by directly coding XML. I trust there is a nice UX that will generate the XML specs. I hope that's shown in the webinar tomorrow. And I hope the UX favors MVC over backward familiarity.

You develop the UI in XML, which will output native HTML. This will be implemented for our entire backend then eventually frontend. We've an XML library developed that handles this, which also supports template overrides, etc.. No, we don't have a UI generator; you'll need to know XML for the time being until we can review an easy to use drag and drop editor.

Roland wrote: Great that new CB is coming... The only poor thing is, that the rework of friend management is not included in 2.0... This area is really out of date...

I've rewritten the CB Connections HTML at the very least so a lot of that has improved. The connections path display has also been styled and improved now. I'll be rewriting the entire plugin probably for CB 2.1. Note we are trying to provide more rapid development so time between releases should hopefully be much much shorter.

KatoKalin wrote: Just imagine what happends if Kyle quits? Hopefully he never gets ill, never has an accident and will never choose to quit to work for something else. Otherwise CB might have a huge problem. Might, I don´t know......

No worries! I've no plans to go anywhere. :)

KatoKalin wrote: Jomsocial has just released a new version. I am having the impression that CB is always 1 step behind while they used to be one step ahead. The administration from the Jomsocial has a dashboard with a summary of what is going on which is just great. You can check it out here: demo.jomsocial.com/administrator/index.php?option=com_community
I hope CB 2.0 will bring all the state of the art community and administration features that are missing.

Well I do need to point out that Jomsocial doesn't have a free version, is twice (if not more) the cost of our subscriptions, and has a larger development team. With that said I believe we're doing quite well to keep up with todays needs and standards! Also our entire backend is planned to be redone either in 2.0 or 2.1 with new administrative, reporting, export/import, etc.. features (this won't be in Beta 1, but again it IS planned for sure).

socialfan wrote: In my case I wouldnt need those features. I appreciate CB for its flexibility. JS is an out of the box "take it or leave it" solution.

That's kind of the issue we run into. We have to make sure everything is generic and flexible to fit a wide range of sites and usage without a bunch of bloat. A lot of those administrative features 90% of admins would never use, but we agree a good bit of reporting features should be available so we do plan on improving a lot of this.

woluweb wrote: But what is the (estimated) timing / roadmap for beta, RC and production versions ?

3 Beta phases, followed by RC, then Stable. Each beta phase is expected to take at least a week, but all of this is subject to change. So possibly a stable by end of January, but I can by no means guarantee a timeline or release date of any sort at this time. With that said there's no reason to wait. You can begin using CB 1.9 then easily upgrade to CB 2.0 later.

dannec wrote: Will there be a recording of the webinar available later in the day?

Yes, we'll be recording the webinar session and uploading it later.

Magic2014 wrote: I don't think he meant any negativity by it [and I certainly don't] but I think the point he's trying to make is JomSocial is much more user friendly and easier to get started with. This is part of the reason I went with CB Professional (the support feature). But even the support (while admittedly responsive as touted) only referred me to what I already knew. CB is a great product but if you can't figure out how to use it, it's no good.

We'll be improving this with each release of CB 2.x. Currently CB 2.0 Beta 1 auto configures a lot of it self to be ready to use out of the box. We'll also be redoing Joomlapolis again and implementing detailed Online documentation that'll be much easier for us to maintain, which should help many with usage issues. We're also reviewing basically everything for UX improvements.

Magic2014 wrote: Now the good news is I got it figured, but that was not because of the support. With a product as versatile as CBP, I would think there would be a step by step getting started section, something similar to what Joomla offers. I think CBP is a better product than JS. But if we can figure out a way to make it a bit more usually friendly that would go a long way towards making a great product even better

We'll be completely solving this with our new documentation.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 years 4 months ago #238371 by deltafidesign
Replied by deltafidesign on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment
I've lost connession during webinair :(, where can I see slides of webinair?

10 years 4 months ago #238373 by krileon

deltafidesign wrote: I've lost connession during webinair :(, where can I see slides of webinair?

It's not available yet. Nick has some editing to do and will post when is available.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

10 years 4 months ago #238374 by deltafidesign
Replied by deltafidesign on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment
Thanks for reply, hope to see them soon! :woohoo:

10 years 4 months ago #238380 by Magic2014
Replied by Magic2014 on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment
All our Joomla templates are provided with Professional subscription

Kyle, are your referring to the Flex, Funlite, Coolness and Community templates or are you referring to the templates that already come with Joomla? I thought CBP came with its on particular template and I was trying to get info on it for site layout... (Trying to customize look and layout of site, may stick with Joomla template or go something else)

Great job on the Webinar by the way.
Magic

10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #238385 by pepperstreet
Replied by pepperstreet on topic Community Builder 2.0 Next Generaton announcment
AAARRGH! Missed the webinar because of wrong time information after register?! :ohmy: :S :pinch: :( :angry:
Longing for the recorded session :whistle: :)

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn