Wanted: way to renew profile

18 years 4 months ago #1864 by klp29
Wanted: way to renew profile was created by klp29
We have thousands of user profiles on one of our sites, and many of them has not shown online acitivity for months - this, ofcourse, is partly due to the fact, that users cannot delete their profile by themselves, so they "happily forget" us.

I'd really like to be able to (preferably automatically) send out a monthly mail, encouraging members to RENEW their profil or, in other words, to confirm that they're still active users. Just a single "Yes, please, I'd like to keep my profile active"-email with a link like in the first confirmation-mail.

There are some issues - for instance, I think the function should be able to only pick the users that HAS NOT been loggin in for some time. There's n reason in sending such a mail to someone who were online yesterday, but more likely to those, who hasn't been online for a admin-chosen period of time like 1 month.

Is this part of the near future with CB rc2 or ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 4 months ago #1871 by dsendecki
Replied by dsendecki on topic Re:Wanted: way to renew profile
Thats a great idea? Have you placed it over on joomlaforge as a feature request? If not I will!B)

18 years 4 months ago #1909 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Wanted: way to renew profile
This would be quite straightforward to program event without knowhow of CB.

Just make a php script that selects all users that have the last visit data X smaller than current data stamp and send them a mail in the link logging the reminder in a table. The link goes to a custom joomla component that clears the reminder log for the user (and at the same time joomla updates the last visit date).

If the user gets X amount of reminders in the log, his profile will be deleted from the database by calling the removeUsers function in admin.comprofiler.php.

The same script could be used to resend the email activation mail, incase user has not clicked the initial link.

For anyone who knows php this would be less than half a day to make.

mikko

18 years 4 months ago #1915 by mortenhm
Replied by mortenhm on topic Re:Wanted: way to renew profile
mikko wrote:

If the user gets X amount of reminders in the log, his profile will be deleted from the database by calling the removeUsers function in admin.comprofiler.php.

Calling removeUsers is, as I see it, not thatstraightforward. The function has other side effects than the deletion of users. It echos javascript in some cases and redirects the browser.

My "solution" would be cut'n'paste programming from the code in the removeUsers function. Its not pretty though... :) But I do not have "l33t h4x0r 5ki11z" in php so maybe someone can get around it. :unsure:

I would like to know how...

--
Morten Holdflod Møller
CB3PD subscribemailman

18 years 4 months ago #1931 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:Wanted: way to renew profile
In this case the script would be run as a cron job from command line, so it should not be a problem.

I agree that there is no quick and elegant solution ot this.

mikko

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn