IP Address...

18 years 1 month ago #5409 by joomladude
IP Address... was created by joomladude
Hi All,
Is there a way to log IP addresses in CB profile so an admin can catch the ones who create multiple profiles or for other security reasons?

Our site members mostly have static IP addresses, so logging their IPs in an efficient way can help us to manage our site better.
Regards,

JD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

18 years 1 month ago #5426 by mikko
Replied by mikko on topic Re:IP Address...
No. Would be easy to code as a plugin though. The closest thing that you can do is to get this daa from apache logs.

mikko

18 years 1 month ago #6202 by joomladude
Replied by joomladude on topic Re:IP Address...
Thanks mikko for the input. I think this is an essential tool for every webmaster to be able to manage their site membership efficiantly and control the pesky "fake" members.

Anyone else can help with this issue?

JD

17 years 11 months ago #10401 by joomladude
I'm just trying to keep this link alive and hoping that someone will think of a solution, as I continuously struggle with controlling the pesky fake members on a very busy community based site but can not totally ban them as I do not have their IP addresses, so they can keep creating bogus accounts and bother other members. :angry:
TIA,

JD

17 years 11 months ago #10404 by Syrinx
Replied by Syrinx on topic Re:IP Address...
I don't have a solution per se, but I use the "BSQ SiteStats" comoponent and it displays (among other things) recent visitors and their IP addresses.

You can get it here:

extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,121/Itemid,35/

17 years 11 months ago #10593 by joomladude
Thanks Syrinx,
The only problem is that this is a very busy site and has many visitors, so it is very hard to manually go through the logs and trace users movement and match it to IP addresses.

Sometimes we don't get to check the logs until hours after the visitor has signed up and also they come from different timezones and separating all these facts to find a user IP address is not easy.

I see that the geo plugin for the CB can even log the new members' geographic location on the sign-up and display it on a google map, so I don't suppose that it will be hard to capture a user IP address when they fill up the membership application. Facilforms includes a lot of personal information including the IP, browser and OS information with the submission of every inquiry, so I suppose that Joomla is already facilitating the tools for this operation.
Regards,

JD

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn