CBSubs 1.0 Released!

15 years 1 week ago #95457 by couriers
Replied by couriers on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
There must be issues surrounding encoding I am not aware of. Obviously it results in lost business to developers. The cost of that lost business must be offset somehow by protecting the code from unethical users and devlopers. Some users may have issues with installing ioncube, others like me, are just presdisposed against using encoded extensions. I am disapointed you have chosen that route.

Keith
www.iplastic.ca
kmccartan@iplastic.ca

Please Log in to join the conversation.

15 years 1 week ago #95463 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
couriers,

Understand fully your point of view, and respect it fully. Thank you also for having respected ours too, highly appreciated. :)

Without wishing this thread to go out of topic into a discussion on that interesting subject, I just need to clarify 2 points that you have raised, to avoid a false general impression:

1) this is *not* a "new route" that we are taking, it's rather a single exception to the general route that we have. You will very soon see new CB plugins released, which, as you will see, are all open-source non-encoded. :)

Our general "route" has always been, is and will be:

- All our projects are open-source, community-driven, and most are free. We like them that way, like you :)

We have now one exception which is commercial and not open-source at this stage: CBSubs. There are many good and fair reasons for this choice for this application at this time. I will go in more details when time permits, but not in this general thread. Just to mention one of the main ones which is important for lots of users of business-critical E-commerce solutions: As the code is signed and checked each time it's used, you are pretty sure that nobody, in good or bad faith, has tempered/hacked/broken your business-critical revenues-generating part of your server-code. There is no other PHP-only solution to solve this problem properly to the best of my knowledge.

We do plan to open-up the powerful CBSubs API and important parts of the code, as soon as finalized and as needed for users to be able to leverage and customize its power for their uses.

There is no other non-open-source exception planed currently.

We strongly believe that this is not a problem for most customers, to the contrary, given the nature and benefits of CBSubs and of its fully commercial model. Those who need strictly open-source solutions already have alternatives and there is enough room for every solution for every need. :)

2) ioncube-(NON)-issues: only a single ioncube-related technical issue so far (no ioncube loader for obsolete G5 64bits Apple servers), compared to a few more small issues for other prerequisites like OpenSSL and CURL. Most hosters have ioncube nowadays installed standard, and there is a free loader for almost any platform available (except G5 64bits) if the hoster didn't install or for your localhost.

---

back to topic :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 1 week ago #95467 by beat
Replied by beat on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
Phantom.Knight wrote:

I agree with Polarwolf, I have been waitng for this extension for such a long time, but because of the high price I can not get it. If you could make the starter free or really cheap we could start using it and build our customer database and when it reaches 500 I would gladly pay the 125 €

Or even a free 250 user version???

It's never too late to re-consider pricing you know :)

Post edited by: Phantom.Knight, at: 2009/04/17 15:51

We hear those saying it's to expensive for their business or business model, and understand their point of view and suggestions given. We had initially proposed a pricing model to the community which had taken this in account. However, community voice was 99% against such a (imho fair) "Pay-as-you-earn-and-grow" model. So we listened and adapted our model to the "Pay-upfront-and-then-earn-as-much-as-you-like" model that was requested many times. We even adapted the model to have "levels of growth" in it. Now discussion is done, product is released, and pricing is fixed.

CBSubs is certainly at the higher-end featureset for social membership systems, for a very reasonable price, given its broad featureset and great flexibility, which should allow easily to implement creative ideas to grow the business.

To give you a single unique feature that can easily double revenues, it's not demoed here yet: when user selects a plan, you can automatically nicely unhide sub-plans as upsel proposals ! There are many many more features in 1.0 to allow you to grow your business flexibly, and many more to come in next versions :)

My point of view was always and still is that if a business or a non-for-profit can't afford to "invest" a hundred Euros or dollars into a money-making application, then the probability that the problem is not in the cost of the investment, but elsewhere might be quite high, and that the question of viability should be solved rather sooner than later. Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not critisizing any business model here, just trying to warn in a friendly way that starting a business requires many investments, most are way higher than 100 EUR, and are way less in the directly productive money-inflow path... ;)

Happy to reply to any other on-topic non-pricing related questions :)

Beat - Community Builder Team Member

Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly -- Help us spend more time coding by helping others in this forum, many thanks :)
CB links: Our membership - CBSubs - Templates - Hosting - Forge - Send me a Private Message (PM) only for private/confidential info

15 years 1 week ago #95533 by hjames
Replied by hjames on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
My honest suggestion to the team would be to release a 14 Day Trial License that allows users to install it on their site and see what its all about.

Yea, its great to see a TAB here but to full understand it through SELF USE is 1000x's more convincing.

I know that most encoding systems allow the use of Trial License.

Anyone else agree?

I personally would consider it but need that testing phase first.

Thanks,
James

Also, would the license be LOCKED to a Domain? Or is it free domain usage but on (1) or (2) << however many you buy? What about a DEV/TEST environment? Such as localhost?

Make sure you take these things into consideration.

James

15 years 1 week ago #95553 by Andy101
Replied by Andy101 on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
Ok 3 questions:

1. The 95 Euro license is for 500 users. Theres no renewal fee every year right. Ie the subs will continue to work as long as it does not exceed 500 users?

2. How easy is it to do an upgrade later on? Complicated? Can relate the steps.

3. Can I integrate with CB 1.2 + virtuemart + Groupjive + Kurena forum 1.09 + Joomla 1.59?

Thank you,

Will be buying very soon after my doubts are cleared :laugh:

Post edited by: Andy101, at: 2009/04/19 12:36

15 years 1 week ago #95557 by 3cellhosting
Replied by 3cellhosting on topic Re:CBSubs 1.0 Released!
Hi Andy,

1 - Correct - No renewal fee. Upgrade only if you exceed user limits.

2 - I haven't tried this yet but I think it will be simply a case of inserting the license code. One of the development team will need to confirm that one.

3 - I have been using with all of those except Groupjive and I have no problems. I recommend that you upgrade to Joomla 1.5.10 though ;)

You will not be disappointed with your purchase B)

Cheers for now

David
www.3cellhosting.com - where personality, creativity and integrity come as standard.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds