Reset password only with email (and not username)

13 years 4 months ago #147488 by iberkner
Hi,

We just upgraded to 1.3, looks good. Thanks for all your hard work.

This is an issue that we've been dealing with for a while.

Our CB configuration is set up to allow both username and email as the login methods. The problem for us is that in order for a user to recover their password, they must provide both the user id and email address to their account. If they forgot their user id, then the process becomes a 2 step process.

Is there a way to only require the email address for password recovery?

thanks

spellingcity.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 4 months ago #147574 by krileon

Our CB configuration is set up to allow both username and email as the login methods. The problem for us is that in order for a user to recover their password, they must provide both the user id and email address to their account. If they forgot their user id, then the process becomes a 2 step process.

If they forgot their username then they need to check both Lost Username and Lost Password. All be then to provide Email Address and they'll receive both their username and a new password. Don't understand the issue? Working as intended.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 4 months ago #147578 by iberkner
We'd like them to get a new password if they only enter their email address, regardless of knowing their username. Make it a 1 step process.

Most people remember their email address but not their username, this makes retrieving a lost password a 2 step process.

spellingcity.com

13 years 4 months ago #147666 by krileon
Sorry, no you can't do this. Username is asked for verification. This is done because we still support other CMS such as Joomla 1.0.x which supports non-unique emails (registering more then once with same email). I suppose you could edit the core to remove username, but do so at ones own risk; we don't support core edits. You'll need to review comprofiler.php and comprofiler.html.php.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn