CB vs Joomunity? :)

15 years 5 months ago #76281 by nant
Replied by nant on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
@krileon:
Excelent post-review. Glad someone "looked under the hood" and put things in perspective.

If you have any suggestions for API extensions of core changes that would help cleaner API related extensions of CB (thus avoiding hacking core code and updating hacks at every new CB release), please let us know - we will listen.

Just wanted you to know that you have "made our day" :)

also, I really think you should consider joining the subscriptions test team - you will surely be super impressed!
The topic has been locked.
15 years 5 months ago #76292 by krileon
Replied by krileon on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
A good suggestion to avoid some core hacks is have a tab position ABOVE the profile tab render. This will allow us to put custom code directly into profiles that can rendered first.

For example I have 2 hacks placed above the profile render code within comprofiler.html.php

Above the line:
[code:1]
echo "\n\t<div class=\"cbProfile\"><div id=\"cbProfileInner\">";
[/code:1]

1 hack allows me to have users redesign the entire layout via CSS. What it does is overwrite the default style, because it's being called AFTER the default style is called. Thus it will overwrite it if anything is filled in. If the fields are blank then it's ignored.

My other hack is what I call a "Lock Me!". I do not allow profile deletions, BUT I do allow users to set their accounts on Block status. This way if they no longer want their account for any reason. They navigate to settings. Click the account Tab. Find the field "Lock Me" and type Yes. It'll then block their account and log them out. What this hack does is reads the field if it's Yes and begins the lock process. It also reverts the field to NULL. This way if the user is unblocked by an admin. Their account will not block again upon logout unless they type yes again.

I've got other core hacks to the plugins menu.php and core.php.

I've documented all of them in an rtf file. So it's a matter of copy and paste upon upgrade. Not really a hassle for me.

What I changed in menu.php is I didn't like the way the menu on profiles was setup. So I customized it to be how I wanted. Move "Send Private Message", "Add Friend(was connection)", "Report User" to a new menu called "User". I then cleaned up the moderator menu to have "Edit User", "Ban User", and "User Reports".

Then with core.php I edited the username display. This way I can show my Mood field and Quote field exactly where I wanted. Mood will show "(username) is sad." if a mood is selected, etc.. Then quote shows to the very far right above the status table automatically italic and in quotations.

This can all be done with a plugin, but the location I wanted it could not. It's not really a big deal, but to the less experienced it could be frustration. That's why I explained social networks are a lot of work.

Out of the box CB is INCREDIBLE, but if ya want your own custom features. Ya just gotta do the work for um. I honestly don't mind reapplying my hacks. I do it to 5 other components every upgrade, lol. I've just documented them well and always make a backup. Then getting my hacks back in takes a whole 30 minutes of my day. :)

I'm not sure what the test team does, but I'd help in anyway I can. I try to fix folks bugs as I see them here. Don't really have a ton of time to dedicate though. Working 12 hours a day trying to get my site live (going to try to launch next week *crosses fingers*). Running out of ideas so it's time to go live, lol. I've spent most of the past 3 days debugging and cleaning. Got an entire profile with every tab showing to only need 99 queries. Not bad for having a massive feature set.

Hopefully google adsense will pay off and I can donate to the CB team like yas deserve. If not I'll donate when I can, lol. Gotta eat first and got 2 little ones to think of. :laugh:

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
15 years 5 months ago #76841 by arathra
Replied by arathra on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
On this thread, it seems there's another one in the wings: Jomsocial.

www.jomsocial.com/

Being moderately new to Joomla I began with CB which is rather cumbersome in comparison to the others which I find much easier to use.

Joomunity looks great but lacks so many features so far.

Jomsocial is very good imo and I reckon it will jump into the lead. It's undergoing heavy development right now in prep for the first public release and is integrated nicely with MyBlog and Comment plus it has groups set up already.

I have a couple of "community" sites in the pipeline and having spent a long time hacking away with CB to get it looking the way it should, I'm afraid that I'll be hanging on for the first release of Jomsocial to give that a proper go (joomunity lacks too many features thus far).
15 years 5 months ago #76851 by krileon
That's all fine and dandy, but you're hanging up a stable and well designed social network platform for something that hasn't even released 1 stable version yet.

That's my entire point I'm trying to make to some of you folks.

Do NOT design a live site on BETA code. It's absurd and risky.

The problems you outlined above with CB I fail to see. It took 1 hack and about 15-20 fields and the profiles can be entirely redesigned by my users. They can actually modify the entire CSS of their profile. It doesn't get any better then that. People don't want fancy templates that they can do nothing with or only change minor things. Users can move their tabs on my site now.

If you want a point click social network platform. Then the other guys is uh that a way.

Am I the only developer here that thinks it's the dumbest move in history to develop a live site on beta code? or is it just me? Beta code is ok on live sites IF a stable has already been released for you to fall back on.

When you use one of these new platforms and it fails. Then what? What do you tell your clients? What do you tell your users? Tough luck? Doesn't work like that. With CB if something fails in a new RC. You fall back to the previous. You're then safe until you can figure out the issue.

I see complaints about CB and I understand them. I hear yas I really do, but I can't help but say this over and over. You can do anything you put your knowledge to with CB.

I've got ebay listings automatically pulled to profiles, amazon wish lists pulled, full RSS feeds with latest simplepie decoding. Come on it's not hard to put things together. I've created an award system that integrates with jawards.

What are you going to do when these new platforms release? We don't even know how well their API will work if one even exists!

Their websites offer little to no information and half the links don't even work. How can you even compare?

You're basing your decision off of HYPE. It's called publicity and marketing for a reason. They're selling you air and you're buying it!

So give CB the benefit of the doubt at least. If you're going to compare platform to platform then give some FACTS that give a good comparison. "It looks good" isn't a comparison. That's an over opinionated statement that does no one any good.

So lets stop doing apples to oranges here. They haven't even released 1 stable version. How can you compare what you haven't experienced?

I tried Joomunity and I think it has potential obviously, but it's all pretty fodder to me. I need function ability. Not fancy templates that I can make on my own.

This new one I haven't tried as well they don't even have a copy released. So no real opinion there, but seeing as there's no release yet. What you think my opinion is going to be? lol.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents lol. Mean no offense and by no means am targeting anyone. So if you're offended then I deeply apologize.

Kyle (Krileon)
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
15 years 5 months ago #76921 by wiersbr
Replied by wiersbr on topic Re:CB vs Joomunity? :)
I am attempting to do the MOOD thing like you have done. How did you do it? I am still on Version 1.1
15 years 5 months ago #77342 by krileon
wiersbr wrote:

I am attempting to do the MOOD thing like you have done. How did you do it? I am still on Version 1.1

I've hacked the core files of joomla to display the value of a field.

plugin cb.core.php is the one you're after.

Kyle (Krileon)
--
--
--
--
Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn