Just some questions before purchase/upgrade

12 years 6 months ago #179043 by webemusic
hi guys
Looking at upgrading my account to at least Advanced to get GroupJive, but before I do I want to know if it will do what I'm looking for.

Can I make a group WALL a default wall, what I mean is if a new user joins my site and I assign a Group to them which will make one certain wall a "common" wall. In other words a Wall that everyone sees by default. From there they can create their own groups and wall as they see fit. Kinda like Facebook's "common wall"

and with video sharing, your discription says, share videos from video hosting such as Youtube, and other....is Viddler one of those "others"...?

fianlly can a wall be assigned amenu position on the home page...say i can make a common wall can i make it a menu item and say place it in the "top" menu so registoered users can access it from the homepage?...Kinda like Jom Soc?...

I'm not looking for a "how to" here just yes or no as to whether i can do these things before I upgrade...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 6 months ago #179068 by krileon

Can I make a group WALL a default wall, what I mean is if a new user joins my site and I assign a Group to them which will make one certain wall a "common" wall. In other words a Wall that everyone sees by default. From there they can create their own groups and wall as they see fit. Kinda like Facebook's "common wall"

No, each group has its own private wall. It's all stored to a single DB table however so you could develop something like that if you wanted.

and with video sharing, your discription says, share videos from video hosting such as Youtube, and other....is Viddler one of those "others"...?

Yes, viddler is supported.

fianlly can a wall be assigned amenu position on the home page...say i can make a common wall can i make it a menu item and say place it in the "top" menu so registoered users can access it from the homepage?...Kinda like Jom Soc?...

Not until next release (GJ 2.5) where you'll be able to append &tab=Wall for example to the Group URL and it'd display the wall tab by default.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #179144 by webemusic
Replied by webemusic on topic Re: Just some questions before purchase/upgrade
Thank you for your timely reply :cheer:
I hate to be asking so many questions, but i'm bouncing back and forth between Group Jive and Superactivity as which will be the best solution for my site.
Also thank you for supporting Viddler, a very under rated video hosting site IMO..

So let me see if I got this correct. With GroupJive a user creates a group, That group then shows on a users Profile in a tab, when a member of that group goes to their profile and clicks the tab to the group they are taken to that groups wall, where all the features such as Videos, photos and a wall stream are found? In theory if I create a generic user group that everyone can join, everyone will have the tab in their profile and it will be from there that they access to that group and all the functions? On that wall no one can comment directly on a video or photo, but they can place a comment on the wall about it? Am I in the Ball Park?

I have found the sample demo of what GJ looks like and some of the functions, but haven't found info on how it intergrets with a site in a whole...or i'm to dumb to read it correctly :blush:

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #179163 by krileon

With GroupJive a user creates a group

Yes, but admin can also create them too from frontend or backend, even on another users behalf. Users can only create groups and categories on their own behalf. All of which can be disabled or permissions changed from configuration.

That group then shows on a users Profile in a tab,

Yes, but GJ it self has a complete frontend as well. Please see the demo site below.

cbsubs1.cbdemosites.com/cb-groupjive

when a member of that group goes to their profile and clicks the tab to the group they are taken to that groups wall

Yes and no. Groups and GJ it self are far far more then just a Wall, that is but a tiny integration and only a small feature of what groups and GJ provides.

where all the features such as Videos, photos and a wall stream are found?

A group has its own tabs where videos, wall, photos, etc.. are all found. Best suggestion is to review the demosite to better understand how it will look and feel.

In theory if I create a generic user group that everyone can join, everyone will have the tab in their profile and it will be from there that they access to that group and all the functions?

Yes, profile tab will show the categories they own, groups they own, groups they joined, and privately to themselves invites they sent. From there they can click a group or category and go directly to it.

On that wall no one can comment directly on a video or photo, but they can place a comment on the wall about it?

Correct, currently photo, video, etc.. integrations have no commenting feature but it's planned for later release.

I have found the sample demo of what GJ looks like and some of the functions, but haven't found info on how it intergrets with a site in a whole...or i'm to dumb to read it correctly

No worries as am happy to answer any of your questions. :)

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

12 years 6 months ago #179169 by webemusic
Replied by webemusic on topic Re: Just some questions before purchase/upgrade
wow...ok...that's pretty clear now..thank you very much. I've have always been a fan of CB and it's developers...I am replacing an old social networking site in Jom 1.5 to a new 1.7 platform..the old site was based on Jom Social(which i never liked) and I have the old users migrating to the new site and want to make sure I can give them something that they can wrap their heads arounds..and I was hoping you guys had a good solution to use because I really wanted something that integretes with CB...this looks like something i can teach these users to use...and expand on, so thank you for your help and I'll get rolling with it.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn