Feature requests: force users/block group creation

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #156827 by justmebg
I have a relatively new community site (Jan '11), and since there is really no way to "convert" from 1.8 to 2.0, I would like to hit the ground running with 2.0. However, there are a few things I have found GroupJive 1.8 to be extremely helpful that the new version doesn't allow, and I would like to submit them for your consideration.

Force Users
I have two static groups that I use for my two different member types to easily deliver notices, comments and requests specific to those users. As each user joins I add them to the appropriate group. I have found this to be easier than mailing components, and would love to have it in the new 2.0 version.

Block Group creation in category
It would be nice to be able to block users from creating groups in a specific category (similar to locking a forum category). Having the moderation is fine, but it is nice in 1.8 that the "create" link is hidden when this is set.

Beth G

Please Log in to join the conversation.

13 years 1 month ago #156948 by krileon

I have a relatively new community site (Jan '11), and since there is really no way to "convert" from 1.8 to 2.0, I would like to hit the ground running with 2.0. However, there are a few things I have found GroupJive 1.8 to be extremely helpful that the new version doesn't allow, and I would like to submit them for your consideration.

Moving from GJ 1.8 to GJ 2.0 is relatively painless. Simply run Tools and use the migrate feature. Unfortunately there's currently a bug in the migrate feature which is fixed for next release.

Force Users
I have two static groups that I use for my two different member types to easily deliver notices, comments and requests specific to those users. As each user joins I add them to the appropriate group. I have found this to be easier than mailing components, and would love to have it in the new 2.0 version.

You can add users to groups manually and forcefully from backend.

Block Group creation in category
It would be nice to be able to block users from creating groups in a specific category (similar to locking a forum category). Having the moderation is fine, but it is nice in 1.8 that the "create" link is hidden when this is set.

Good freature request, have added a feature ticket for implementation. Not sure what version at this point, but likely next.

forge.joomlapolis.com/issues/2409

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

13 years 1 month ago #156961 by justmebg

krileon wrote: You can add users to groups manually and forcefully from backend.

I haven't managed to figure this one out yet then. Unless you mean backend as in within the database tables, I can't see any mechanism for adding users to a group from the plugin menus. What am I missing?

Beth G

13 years 1 month ago #156974 by krileon

I haven't managed to figure this one out yet then. Unless you mean backend as in within the database tables, I can't see any mechanism for adding users to a group from the plugin menus. What am I missing?

Navigate to GJs backend then click Users icon then click New. From here you can add users to whatever group you want. You'll need the users ID, so is best to have user management open in a second tab to go back and forth as necessary. No this won't change to a drop-down as would be significantly too heavy for sites who ever have say 1000 users.

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.
The following user(s) said Thank You: justmebg

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #157096 by iceman12321
Regarding forced users, I would be willing to pay the 50 bucks just for this product if it allowed me to force users into a select group WHEN registering. As of right now, a member registers and then I have to manually pick and choose members and then throw them in a group. When someone registers for my site, I would absolutely LOVE if they said they lived in Kansas, then they would automatically be placed in the Kansas group...rather than me have to filter everyone who picked Kansas and then place them in Kansas.

13 years 1 month ago #157107 by justmebg

Regarding forced users, I would be willing to pay the 50 bucks just for this product if it allowed me to force users into a select group WHEN registering.

Oh my gosh, that would be awesome, YES. If users could be forced into a group based on a CB required field value at registration - that make my life so much easier.

Beth G

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn