(SOLVED) Profile URLs

15 years 6 months ago #75043 by krileon
(SOLVED) Profile URLs was created by krileon
I know there's SEF methods of doing this, but is there a non-sef way of doing profile redirects? A plugin or component of some kind to handle this? I know it has to be possible as I've seen it done on other social network sites.

SEF is just WAAAAY to slow and heavy on the server. I've already got my tags designed around search friendliness, but really all a search engine needs to know is my main site and I'm fine.

SEF destroys a lot of my components or just goes so slow I can't stand it and this is on a localhost.

So is there an alternative to redirect users from www.mysite.com/bob to their profile page?

*Edit*
Figured it out. Some might not like it as all 404 errors will attempt to direct to a profile, but IMO it seams like a good thing if you're going for a myspace style site(which I am building and nearly completion.. heck I've even designed it to show all other social network profiles you have in a lightbox).

Anyway here's how:
Add ErrorDocument 404 /404.php to your .htaccess

Make: 404.php and place it in your root directory.

Now add:
[code:1]
<?php
$profile=str_replace("/", "", $_SERVER);

header("Location:index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userProfile&user='".$profile."'"«»);
?>
[/code:1]
to it, save. Done.

If you're on a localhost then change / to //

Now all www.yoursite.com/(username) will direct to their profile. :)

Post edited by: krileon, at: 2008/09/21 01:30

Kyle (Krileon)
Community Builder Team Member
Before posting on forums: Read FAQ thoroughly + Read our Documentation + Search the forums
CB links: Documentation - Localization - CB Quickstart - CB Paid Subscriptions - Add-Ons - Forge
--
If you are a Professional, Developer, or CB Paid Subscriptions subscriber and have a support issue please always post in your respective support forums for best results!
--
If I've missed your support post with a delay of 3 days or greater and are a Professional, Developer, or CBSubs subscriber please send me a private message with your thread and will reply when possible!
--
Please note I am available Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM CST to 4:00 PM CST. I am away on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and if I've missed your post on or before a weekend after business hours please wait for the next following business day (Monday) and will get to your issue as soon as possible, thank you.
--
My role here is to provide guidance and assistance. I cannot provide custom code for each custom requirement. Please do not inquire me about custom development.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: beatnantkrileon
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn